Chapter 6

"If that will make you feel less lonely, then take my hand."

Jungkook's mind was still processing but it clearly wasn't fast enough, his mechanisms weren't working and his resolve weakened as he looked at your outstretched hands, palms opened for him to take.

"Go", he suddenly muttered, when he regained his ability to say anything.

You didn't move a muscle. He rested his forehead on his propped-up hands.

"I said leave, now. I want to be alone", he was starting to sound annoyed, his frivolous exterior dissolving slowly.

The next two days Jungkook stayed far away from you, so far you suspected he might have left the country. He's probably pissed off. After putting in all that effort, and that was all he got from you. He's probably over this phase now.

But after all this time, you started to rear a little monster within you. The monster was tiny and it made you wish that he would not cut you off entirely at the end of the day.

His birthday finally came around. Jungkook's handphone was abuzz with texts raining in from people who barely knew him. At their school lair, he started to type out a message to you:

"Hey Y/N, sorry for ghosting you the past few days. I know it's sudden but today's actually my birthday. Hoseok's having a party for me..."

His fingers were incapable of continuing, he only ended up throwing down his phone and walking out for some fresh air. Hoseok who was busy playing with his new laptop looked up when the door slammed behind Jungkook, noticing the unsent message on the phone.

Jungkook has been obviously frustrated the past few days. He wasn't talking about you. To be fair, he wasn't talking much at all. Hoseok knows Jungkook couldn't care less about the reports of his mother. The problem seems to be you then.

What's so difficult about this, about you? It was unlike Jungkook to drag things out for this long, were you making things difficult? He'll have to see it for himself.

There was merely one bookstore in the mall, but Hoseok only managed to find it after three laps around the first floor.

"Hi Y/N! Took me sooo long to find this place even though I come here almost every other day. Anyway, did you know that today is Jungkook's birthday?", he bounced up to you in such an upbeat manner as though this wasn't the first time the two of you were speaking to each other.

It was? What's Hoseok doing here though?

"I'm organising a party for him tonight, come over if you can?"

"I'm not really into parties", you replied after hesitating for a brief second, "but thanks for letting me know, send him my wishes."

Hoseok was quick on the uptake, he assesses the situation and searched for a move suitable for your type; a tactical decision was made.

"He's not been feeling that great after the situation about his mother. He hasn't been talking to anyone these past few days. But he used to say so much about you and how you were different from the other girls. Maybe you changed something in him? That's why I guess... I just thought if you could come... since I wanted him to feel better on his birthday."

He always seemed more like a comedic character amongst others. You were not quite sure whether this kind of sincerity in his speech was normal or otherwise.

"Think about it ok? I know it could be asking for too much if you don't like parties, but if I never tried, I wouldn't know~", he shrugged at you. "See you if I see you then", he waved as he swerved around, like a rapper leaving the stage while dropping his mic.