Chapter 12

"Ok, so basically all of your suggestions revolve around buying her something pretty? That seems a little lacking, doesn't it? In terms of like creativity or sincerity...", Jungkook complained as he sat next to Hoseok, mindlessly flipping through that same Winnie-the-Pooh book, ignoring Hoseok's judgmental stares.

"Why are you even asking me when you aren't going to accept any suggestions from me?", Hoseok was increasingly annoyed at the relentless questioning.

"Because you are the only person I know who barely had a serious-ish relationsh -", Jungkook managed to cut himself off before he went any further.

Hoseok looks up briefly, his mouth turning into an inverted triangle, evident of his downturned mood.

"Sorry man, I didn't mean to bring it up again... it's just that I have no one else to ask...", Jungkook stammers. Hoseok looks back down at the pen he was twirling in his hand to occupy himself.

"Just do what your heart wants to, she'll like anything you get for her anyway", Hoseok muttered without looking up again at Jungkook.

Seeing his best friend now, Jungkook wonders, will there be someone who could share his pain too?

"Hoseok, it's been so long, don't you think you should -", before he could finish speaking, his phone rings. He glances at the screen, reluctant to pick up but knowing that rejecting this call was not an option.

"I gotta go, catch you later", Jungkook waves to Hoseok as he leaves the room. Hoseok saunters over to where Jungkook had left the book lying on the table, the words on the pages sending a pinch to his heart:

"Some people care too much. I think it's called love."

Jungkook walks into his grandfather's office. He always disliked the place. He would never visit unless he was called up here.

"Are you seeing someone?", his grandfather asks pointedly, without even looking away from the document that he was reading.

"I see a lot of people...", despite the distaste he has for his grandfather, this was the only person who could truly struck some fear within Jungkook.

"If you see a lot of people it is not of concern, but if you get serious about one person then it becomes a concern", his grandfather always displayed the utmost disdain for feelings of any nature.

"She's -", Jungkook opened his mouth to retort but the door bursts open, startling him.

Her heels clicked with a determination that was new.

"Father, let them be", she walks past Jungkook and threw down a number of photographs on the table. Jungkook was not surprised, he always knew his grandfather kept a watch on everyone. Just seeing the silhouette of you in those photographs reminded him of how much he wanted to protect you even though he felt entirely powerless.

"What are you doing here?", his grandfather snorted.

"To stop you from making the same mistake twice."

The stern elder scoffs, "What mistake?"

She stares at him stoically.

"Am I not enough evidence that you made a mistake?", there could have been a tear or two twirling in her eyes but she would never have admitted it. She steels herself to table a deal instead, "Are you really prepared to hand your company over to that man? He's not your blood. But Jungkook is. I still hold ten percent of the shares and I can -"

"Jungkook's far from ready. And if he's going to let his emotions for one girl get in the way, then he'll never be ready", his grandfather stops his mother's pitch before tilting his head to look straight at Jungkook. His mother stood between him and the aged chairman, it somehow looked like Jungkook was being sheltered by her in this moment.