Chapter 4

Frightened, Rain hid behind Ellie. Thunder, however, held his head high as he met the two strangers' gazes. Chuckling softly, the red tailed hawk remarked, "This little one's got your eyes, doesn't he sis?" Ellie smiled quietly at that as she replied, "Marlin, light brown eyes runs in our family. For goodness sake, you have light brown ones too!"

"She's got a point there Marlin," the bald eagle joined in. Quietly, she lowered her head to get a closer look at Thunder. Not even intimidated one bit by her size or her piercing yellow eyes, the little hawk gently whacked her beak with his wing. "Thunder, be nice. This is our guest," Ellie scolded while she was trying to get Rain out in the open. Shrugging it off, the bald eagle reassured the hawk mother, "It's alright, no damage done. I can see a future warrior in our midst. Maybe even a chieftain." Thunder smiled at that and held his head higher. Smiling back, the bald eagle asked, "What's your name?"

"My name is Thunder and I'm gonna be the greatest warrior there ever was!" Thunder exclaimed. Recalling his manners, he tilted his head slightly as he asked, "And what's your name?"

"I'm Sleet, honorary member of the Council," the bald eagle replied with a smile. Glancing up at the darkening skies above, she added quietly, "And I better be getting back before it gets too dark out." Nodding his head, Marlin commented, "Yeah. At least I got to see my niece and nephew before I leave for the war party." Nuzzling Ellie, he spoke softly, "You take care little sister, you hear me?"

"You too. I hear those coyotes can be very dangerous," Ellie replied, smiling at her brother Marlin. Watching as he and his friend Sleet flew off, she looked down at Thunder and Rain. Nuzzling them both, she remarked, "I think it's time for two little ones to head for bed."