Chapter 97

All in unison, the search party peered into the air vents that lay before them. There was very little light inside and it seemed to stretch on forever and ever. No one knew what could possibly be within the tunnels of the air vent, though there were a few ideas in their minds. A chill ran up everyone's spine. Lifting her head and turning towards Pops, Chloe grumbled, "I choose life."

"Then I guess you better follow me beautiful," Pops replied, winking playfully at her before entering the air vents. Closing her sky blue eyes briefly, Gidget whispered softly to herself, "Remember, you're doing this for Max." Without another word, she went inside the air vent. That left everyone else. Gesturing towards the vent opening, Buddy told Mel, "After you." Shaking his head, the pug told the dachshund, "No, you first." Sweetpea stayed on Mel's head while Norman stuck close to an annoyed Chloe. Rolling his eyes, Tiberius took one step inside as he remarked, "Well, I'll let you guys fight it out while I just get in here-"

"Oh no you don't! Pets first predator!" Chloe hissed suddenly, lashing out at Tiberius with her sharp claws. She missed but still managed to get the red tailed hawk out of the air vent. Baring her teeth, she pushed Norman in before her. As she climbed in, she whacked the old hawk with her striped tail. Glancing at each other in dead silence, Mel and Buddy raced in after her while Sweetpea flew ahead of them. Left standing there shocked for a few seconds, Tiberius quietly went inside the air vent. He made sure to keep enough distance between himself and the other pets as they blindly followed Pops into the dark tunnels.

"Don't worry youngsters," Pops called over his shoulder to the group of animals that were trailing behind him, "We'll be seeing the light of day in a matter of five to seven minutes. I know these tunnels like the back of my paw!"