Chapter 102

All the while Tiberius was thinking this, Pops strolled over to what seemed to be a doorway and empty space. Inside the apartment, an iguana wearing a harness stuck his tongue out before reeling it back into its mouth, opening the glass door. The search party entered without any further invitation. Laying out on a table was an open pizza box, along with a bag of chips underneath and some fried chicken. Pops strolled right past the food without so much as a glimpse. The same could not be said for the others.

Watching as Gidget grabbed a slice of pizza from the box, Tiberius wondered what pizza tasted like. Deciding to try it out, he swooped down and grabbed two slices. Norman took the chip bag while Sweetpea took only one chip. Buddy grabbed a fried chicken leg that was on the floor. Being as hungry as he was, Mel took the whole box with him. Feeling bold, Chloe climbed up on the human who was sleeping on the couch and took his fried chicken leg right off his paper plate.

Enjoying the taste of pizza, Tiberius walked alongside Gidget as Pops led them and the rest of the search party outside to a construction site. The group climbed up onto some wooden planks that were just being hauled up by a crane. Chloe almost got left behind, meowing as her paws were swept off the ground.

As they went higher and higher, the other pets seemed to grow nervous about the heights. Sweetpea was shaking uncontrollably while Mel and Buddy stuck together like glue. Rolling his eyes, Tiberius glanced to his right just as a metal beam came out of nowhere and took Pops with it to wherever it was going. Startled by what had happened, the search party watched the beam go on its way, not even realizing that their destination was fast approaching on their left until the boards hit the edge of a rooftop. The next thing any of them knew, they were buried under a pile of wooden planks.

Boards laying across his face, neck and chest, Tiberius heard something land nearby. A moment later, Pops could be heard saying, "Come on, I don't have all day." Next to the old hawk, Buddy exclaimed, "How the heck are you even alive?!"