Chapter 10 Lust Of The Future

Shota's pov

The sound of beeping ringed in my ear drums and I felt nauseous and sickly. Soft fabric could be felt covering almost my whole body. What's going on and where am I? Still in a weak state, I struggled to open my eyes.

Whatever I was laying on, it felt fluffy and comfortable. A bed? I think that's what they call it; can't remember the last time I laid on one before, it feels nice.

Finally opening my eyes, it took me a moment to adjust to the light. Everything was slightly foggy at first, but soon cleared up after blinking a few times. I sat up in the bed and looked at my arms and hands, they were bandaged up. Lifting up my shirt I could see bandages tightly wrapped around from my chest to my lower abdomen. My left cheek also had a bandaid covering it, probably from when that bullet grazed me when I was ducking behind cover.

Dang, I feel like crap.

Oh wait, I really shouldn't be complaining since I almost died. Whoops, almost forgot about that.

Close to death that is...

*Pffft*

Hearing deep chuckling from beside me, I turn my head to see who it came from. Jack, he seems different in some way, but I can't put my finger on it. He was laughing at me for some reason and then it hit me like a ton of bricks, he can read my thoughts. Gotta be more careful, forgot he could read me like an open book.

"Good frickin lord, did you lose a few braincells while being out?", he began to compose himself from all that laughing. He wiped a tear from his eye and gave me a sincere look, "anyways, it's not like I was worried about you. If you die, I die so be more careful next time", he left me speechless at his unexpected behavior.

Whatever he said didn't seem to match his facial expressions, he seemed relieved I was awake even though he covered it up with excuses (obvious excuses might I add).

Flicking my hair dramatically I shot back, "stop lying, I know you missed my dazzling charm and great fighting skills", we both laughed in sync as if we both pictured the same images; me being sat on by a bandit or throwing a rock at a bandits mask, only to have it deflect and hit me.

Truly, I never thought I'd ever joke around or even have a conversation with someone, he may be dead but still... I don't feel alone anymore and I feel.

Happy?

It's nice having people care about you even if you may be apart from them. Don't worry Reece, Vaughn, we'll meet up somehow.

The sides of my lips curled up slightly but soon went back to being straight when an unknown voice spoke, causing me to tense up unexpectedly.

The Voice had an American accent of some sorts and made me slightly jumpy upon hearing a new voice, the foreign feeling of meeting someone new unsettled me. Jack caught sight of this and just watched intently to what was going to unfold, his way of observing situations seemed to change; he would now follow and analyze every detail of the man whome came into the room as if he knew who he was. His aura seemed suffocating almost, like a cheetah about to kill their prey.

From all the talk in hyperion, I've heard stories of Jack ever since I was small. Stories of his eyes changing to a murderous tint whenever he was angry. Many employees would gawk and fan boy over this but from seeing it first hand, I wanted to puke from fear.

"You okay kid? Lookin a bit pale suddenly", a man in a lab coat stood by my bedside. He looked strange but I couldn't feel anything about him to be threatening, my hands clenched the sheets as I just started at him.

Wincing at his murderous voice, jack finally spoke.
"Bastard, he's the doctor who works with the vault hunters", as if enlightened, his whole demeanor changed. "I remember now, the vault hunters killed me after the killed the The Warrior", he profoundly paced the room as he muttered to himself. It seems he's regained memories.