2 - Indecent

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan was on the phone all morning, which worked for him since he didn't want to talk to Cam.

He smiled when Donald Moretti called. He was one of his oldest clients both in age and in years of doing business. Although Don wasn't even close to being his richest, Ryan talked to him daily because the eighty-year-old had lost his wife a few years before and was lonely. Ryan looked forward to their conversations. Wealth management had two important components -smart investment strategies and relationship building. For a guy who hated relationships, he was good at developing them with his clients.

Every morning, he checked the National's box score. Ryan liked the Nat's, but he grew up in Boston, so his true allegiance would always lie elsewhere. He and Don started by discussing the game which was more pleasant when they had won - except the rare instance when they play the Red Sox in inter-league play.

Then the conversation moved on to politics. Being just outside of DC everyone had a political opinion. Ryan had a few of his own, but always kept his fair and balanced. Eventually, after talking about his grandkids, they'd get around to discussing Don's portfolio. He enjoyed speaking with ol' Don and it was often the highlight of his day.

Just after noon, Ryan sighed when a beautiful, pregnant woman rapped lightly on his door frame. She had a smile as big as her face. He felt a weight drop in his gut.

Heidi's voice was high. "Hey Rye, I was thrilled to hear last night was a success."

"Is that what she said?" Heidi nodded up and down like a bobblehead of a Cheshire cat. "She really isn't my type. Seriously, you have to stop trying to fix me up. Besides with this Isobel thing, I have to stay out of the social scene."

"I agree!" Cameron entered Ryan's office, sounding the opposite of his excited wife. "I just had two more calls this morning from clients who no longer trust you. At this rate, you'll be down to Don, your brother, and the other Boston clients. Luckily most are only leaving you not us."

"Jesus Cam! Can't the bitch shut up?" Ryan's head was suddenly pounding.

"I think it's Everett who's telling people he warned you. I hope she was worth it!"

"Cameron!" Heidi scolded her husband.

"Most of her was fake, you know I hate fake." He stopped and looked at Heidi who was giggling. It was just an excuse, because he had really liked her - enough to let his guard down. Recovering from his own self-flagellation, he sighed.

"What the hell am I going to do?"

"You need to lie low. Get out of this damn town for a while and stop dating!" For the last bit, Cam looked directly at his wife. "Go visit your folks."

He could, but they were busy. Both were retiring at the end of the school year, and they were preparing to move. Plus, there was the baby, his nephew, who was just born. Shaking his head, thinking about how different he and his brother were. Jack was on his second marriage, but poor Nicole had died. His brother married Maddie, who even Ryan couldn't find fault with, with three kids - a newborn, a toddler, and a teenager.