43 - Regret, lack of regret

Lana

She must have looked like shit, because Ryan could tell something was wrong. At least he didn't say anything about her wearing her black skirt and the white shirt she wore to Les Bistros the night before.

She had a huge argument with her mother just before she left for work. Her mother was threatening to close up the cottage for the winter and make her homeless if she didn't come home. She hadn't lived in that house for any length of time since she was in high school. She came to Maine for college to be near Erik and never left. Most mothers would turn their adult child's bedroom into a guest room or craft room or office, but not Nora. Will wanted to make it a gaming room, but their mother refused. Instead, it was still decorated as if she was fifteen, at least her pictures of Jared Padalecki and Milo Ventimiglia weren't plastered all over her walls anymore. She never could choose between Dean or Jess, but more recently she preferred This is Us to Supernatural.

She was so irritated when she got to work Oliver told her to go have a drink to chill out. Oliver never allowed drinking before a shift, but Jay, the bartender, poured her a glass of wine. She drank it and promised Oliver she would be sweet to her customers. She kept her promise and headed to the bar once she cleared her last table.

With her second glass of wine in front of her, she heard a familiar voice from behind. "Can I buy you a drink?"

She turned around to see Erik. She had to snap her jaw shut before she could speak. "What are you doing here?"

"You'll never guess who sent me."

"Um, four letters beginning with an N."

"So you guessed."

"Did she tell you her latest plan?"

"Yeah, I told her you were happy living in Maine."

"As happy as a twenty-nine-year-old divorcee."

"I deserved that." He smiled.

Damn that smile! Lana drained her glass and Erik bought her another. Her co-workers join them and she lost count of how many times her glass of filled. Yawning she stood to leave and Erik caught her.

He whispered in her ear. "You can't drive."

"But."

"No, buts. I'll take care of you."

Lana felt the tears in her eyes, because he was supposed to have taken care of her forever. She didn't have the energy to resist and let him lead her out. He smelled good, like a distant dream as she leaned on him.

He took her to his apartment, the one that used to be hers. It looked the same, but of course, it did, she left almost everything behind. She flopped down. "My sofa!"

"Are you all right? Do you want anything?"

"Let's see what you have in my kitchen."

Lana got up and started poking around the cabinets. When she found a bottle of Sambuca, she opened it and took a swig.

"Hey Lan, are you sure it's a good idea?" Erik was concerned.

"Why are you afraid of me?" He shook his head as she took another slug and walked over to him. She put her hand on his shoulder and she slowly moved it down his chest. "Do you think I might take advantage of you?"

"Lan, you're drunk!"

"Who cares? It's not like we've never done it before."

Erik didn't pull away as she brought her lips to his. She remembered falling on the bed and Erik kissing her. She remembered feeling like she was the old Lana - who was in love. She didn't remember anything else. It was still dark when her aching head woke her. For a moment she was confused to wake with a warm chest pressed to her back. She was in her bra and underwear and she moved enough to feel his boxers and that wasn't all.