47 - Just a summer fling

A/N Congratulations to the Washington Nationals for winning the World Series. I can hear Don now, but Ryan's team won the year before. I am trying to eliminate actual years from my stories, so I've made some edits. However, when I wrote this in my mind it was the summer of 2018. Every baseball reference is real to that season. I followed a calendar and checked the box scores. If his team rallied for a come from behind win, that is what happened.

Lana

Lana had agreed to meet Adam for coffee on Sunday morning. It was ironic, because she first saw him when she asked Jack to buy her a coffee, because the line was too long. She couldn't presume she would never see him again, but she planned to officially end their farce of a relationship.

When she arrived, he was at a table with two coffees. She approached him. "Hey."

"Hi, I wasn't sure how you drank your coffee."

"Black is fine." She wondered what he even knew about her.

"So were you on a date?"

"Adam, what do you want with me?"

"I wanted to apologize. I'm really sorry. It was stupid. I had planned to break it off with her before we got serious."

"Serious? What makes you think we ever would have gotten serious?" She saw through his good looks. He was just a player, who was much too smooth.

"I... um..." Adam stammered.

Lana suppressed a smile. "I figured we were just a summer fling. I didn't enjoy being humiliated and when that piece of jailbait fucked you in the middle of the street it was humiliating. Almost as humiliating as me throwing myself at you, because you were getting it elsewhere. That was very humiliating."

"Lana, it wasn't like that. I respected you too much. I guess you've moved on with this new guy. I could tell he likes you, is it serious?"

"Serious!" Lana laughed. "That's too complicated to answer. If we hopped in a time machine, then the answer would be yes, very, but if we're in the present, I'd have to say hell no! I don't trust him any more than I trust you, not after I caught him screwing his boss."

"Lana, I'm not following. If he cheated on you, why were you out with him?"

"I don't know. Maybe because we were together since high school and he was my one and only until you."

"Is this the same ex that Ryan said upset you?"

"Did Ryan tell that he was my husband who screwed his bitchy boss?"

Adam nodded.

"Maybe the reason I never told you was because I didn't trust you. Adam, I don't want to be angry or have hard feelings, but I need to get on with my life and you need to let me."

"Are you going back to your ex-husband?"

"That's my business." The correct answer was hell no, but he didn't need to know.

"I guess I can't convince you to give me another shot, can I?" He looked sad.

She shook her head. "You can go back to your little girl without guilt. Bye Adam."

She stood and walked out. As she walked home, she felt great. She stood up to Adam. She wasn't even sure what attracted her to him other than his good looks.

She called Ryan. "Did you meet with him?"

"Yes."

"And you're all right?"

"Uh huh."

"Can I call you a little later? I'm in the middle of the grocery store."

"Are you buying cucumbers?"