15 - Angry recluse

Lana

Adam knocked on her door Saturday evening at exactly seven. Because Saturday was Lana's busiest day, she planned for an afternoon nap before getting ready for her date. She had been thinking about Adam on and off all week with little bursts of excitement pulsing through her body each time.

When she bumped into Maddie on a walk, Lana was nervous she'd mention Adam, but she didn't. Did Maddie know about their date? Would Adam have told Jack? Ryan knew because he was having a house guest.

The only person Lana told was her friend Mari who had recently come back to The Point to live in her family's home. She visited her regularly and even shopped for her. Mari hadn't been to Maine in years, but they had stayed friends through Heidi.

He looked completely handsome with his hair trimmed and about two days' growth on his face. He reminded her of Jack who always had a scruffy face. As an impulse, Lana reached out and touched Adam's whiskers. It felt softer than she expected, but she wondered how it would feel against her tender cheeks.

"Are you trying to be like Jack?" She teased.

"You don't like it?" His tone was serious.

"No, I do. It looks good." She ran her hand down his cheek again until he caught it and pulled her close. His lips met hers in a tender kiss. She felt his facial hair rubbing against her, but it didn't feel unpleasant at all. It was strangely erotic, and she sighed at the thought.

With her sigh, Adam deepened the kiss and Lana felt the faint flick of his tongue. She squeezed her eyes tight blocking out the memory of the first time she felt Erik's tongue on a warm night sitting on the cooling sand.

The memory reminded Lana she needed to take things slow. She didn't want to be one of those women who fell into bed with any guy who bought her a meal. As pleasant as kissing Adam was she needed to know him before she considered taking a tumbling with him.

The restaurant was crowded, so they had a drink at the bar while waiting for a table. There was only one empty stool and as Lana sat and Adam stood behind her. She swiveled the stool so they could talk.

He told her about a big project he was working on and although she knew nothing more than how to do basic things like email and search the internet on a computer, she could tell he was extremely smart.

"How does it work with Jack in Maine?"

"He does his work and comes down when he needs to. It's not like when we worked long hours together, but nothing in Jack's life is the same as back then."

"Rory is." Lana suggested.

"No, Rory's changed and not just older."

A dark shadow fell over Adam. She knew he cared for Jack and Rory. "What was she like?"

"Who Nicole? Oh well, she was beautiful and loved Jack and Rory. She was poised. She didn't come from money, but she acted like she did... the way she stood and dressed. There was a grace about her. God, she and Maddie couldn't be more different. Both beautiful, but Maddie is down to earth, natural as a breath of spring air. I don't even know what I'm saying."

"Did you love her?" Lana asked not sure why.

"What? No, not like that. She and Jack were the golden couple. I can't believe he was lucky enough to find love twice."

Lana felt a sharp pain in her heart thinking of how she once thought she was part of a perfect pairing.

He paused and sipped of his beer. "You know Ryan didn't really like her. It was probably his being jealous of Jack and his anti-marriage stance."

"Why is he jealous of Jack?" Only if hooked up to a lie detector would Lana admit out loud she thought Ryan was better looking than Jack.

"You know the younger brother thing. Everything came easy for Jack. Jack was home nerding out on his computer, not out getting into trouble."

"But Ryan must be smart to be good at his job. I know Cam is."

"He is. I think Ryan has a lot going for him. I have no idea why he is playing the role of an angry recluse this summer."

"You mean he isn't always such a bastard?"

"No, he's normally laid back."

"What's with the whole never getting married business?"

"He's been that way as long as I've known him. He had a bad breakup in college."

"What about you?"

"Me? I've had a few breakups."

"No, I meant what's your position on marriage?"

"I'm not opposed to marriage. I only want to do it once though. My parents had a shitty marriage."

"No marriage is perfect, but most set out hoping it will last."

As a bride, Lana never even fathomed what was ahead for her. She thought until death do you part meant something. She chose not to elaborate, because the last thing she wanted Adam to know was she once had a husband who didn't love her enough.

The conversation turned lighter when they were seated at their table on a large deck. Lana didn't know if it was the company or the beer, but she felt a contentment she rarely felt anymore.

She told Adam about becoming a big sister in middle school. He laughed at her stories. "You love your little brother, I can tell."

She nodded. "He's staying with me all summer."

"I'm close to my little sister, but she lives near Albany and I don't see her as much as I'd like to."

"Is she married?"

"Not yet, but she's been dating the same guy for years. I like him which is good."

"Are you close to your mother?" Lana knew a man's relationship with his mother told a lot about him.

He smirked before answering as if her question triggered a memory. "Yeah, although she lives in Florida, we talk once a week. She isn't one of those pushy mothers. You know she doesn't complain, because I'm not giving her grandchildren."

Lana swallowed and pasted on a smile when his comment conjured up bad memories. "Well, my mother is the complete opposite. She calls me every day and nags me about everything... what I eat, my job, my life."

"That bad?" He reached across the table and took her hand. She liked the feel of his warm hand in hers.

It was soft and large and she stopped her mind from imagining his hand doing more than just holding her hand.

"Yeah, I mean I know she means well, but she is totally a type A and it can be intense. My dad is the opposite. I don't know how he stands her to be truthful, but he does."

"So you're closer with your dad? Mine is gone now, but I was always closer to my mother."

"If we keep talking about my mother, it will ruin the evening. Tell me are you into sports?" Lana listened as Adam talked.

Lana was surprised and relieved Adam didn't ask to come inside. He kissed her goodnight at the door. His kiss was unlike the heated one before dinner, but more intimate than after their first date. It was just enough to keep her thinking about him all week until he came to take her out again the following Saturday.