IV

Liberty's POV

Wells lead them out of the cortex to discuss our "hypothetical" question. Liberty was stiff but desperately trying to not look like she's conflicted. Gosh darn it, Wells is the only one with the futuristic knowledge we need, and I can't help but recall every evil thing he's done!

"Are you well, Miss Davis?" Wells asked.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine, just kinda amazed that I'm in STAR Labs. I've always loved this facility."

Wells smiles (evilly). "Well, I'm not the most popular man in town. Not many people share your feelings about STAR Labs. The government has rated us as "hazardous." Funny, they actually started that report long before the most recent accident."

"What happened that made them see the future?" Roy asked suspiciously.

"We worked on a project with the US Army until I deemed it unethical. Since that day, the government has tried all they could to hinder us here."

"Could they have somehow sabotaged the particle accelerator?" Felicity asked.

"I doubt it. We had strong security, especially around the accelerator. But we aren't here to make conspiracy theories, are we?"

"No. We were visiting Barry anyway and on the way we found something interesting," Felicity said.

"The theory of the multiverse," Roy added.

"The multiverse theory! What questions do you have about it?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general gist of the theory is that there are many universes all occupying the same space but vibrating at different frequencies. This stops the universes from colliding." Liberty tried to keep bitterness out of her voice.

"Correct, Miss Davis. That is, as you said it, the "general gist of the theory." And what about this theory do you have questions about?"

"There are theories that if one could go fast enough, they could break into another universe, right? I've also heard talk of theories that speed is not the only way. These theories said something about interdimensional energies that can rip holes in the spacetime continuum," Liberty said. "Do you think that's possible, as a physicist?"

Doctor Wells stopped and pondered Liberty's question. He slowly turned his head to look toward her. No, it totally isn't creepy at all when he does that. How on Earth does no one immediately find out he is evil? "It is possible, I think, Miss Davis, but incredibly complex. This is all theoretical physics. No one has ever discovered it. Given ten, twenty years, maybe we'll have a clue."

"What if it was found without anyone knowing?" Felicity asked abruptly. She was looking at her iPad in shock. "I was near the bombing at the fan convention in Starling City. The SCPD just released some information on the remains found. Some weird energy is radiating off of it that none of their scientists can identify."

"May I see?" Felicity hands the iPad to Doctor Wells. Roy and I look over his shoulder to see what's on the screen. I skimmed over the police report. Some unknown energy was present, definitely. Liberty could tell from the little time the Arrowverse spent dwelling on charts and graphs. "There is an odd energy here. I've never seen anything quite like it." Doctor Wells starts leading them back to the Cortex. "Let me do some math. I may be able to give you a concrete answer, Liberty."

"Thank you, Doctor," Liberty said as they reentered the Cortex. Caitlin was double checking the IV connected to Barry and Cisco was recalibrating the satellite system. Dig and Oliver are sitting by Barry, quietly discussing something. Felicity and Doctor Wells went to one of the computers and discussed the energy readings. Liberty slumped in a chair by Barry, sighing.