VIII

Warning: this chapter features torture, including bleeding and electrocution. If that sort of thing is a no-no for you, scroll to the bottom where a summary of what is important is.

Liberty's POV

Liberty's vision blurred as she opened her eyes. She couldn't tell where up, down, left, and right are. The world was spinning and amorphous. Liberty groaned, lifting her head up to try to look around the fuzzy mess surrounding her. She looked around, trying to figure out where Revenge took her. The room she was in wasn't lit up, which did not help. Liberty couldn't so much as feel the rope tying her wrists to the arms of the chair she sat on.

"The dizziness will wear off soon," Revenge said from behind Liberty. At least, Liberty thought he was behind her, but she was too dizzy to be certain. "A little ironic, isn't it, that someone named Liberty is held hostage?"

"The heck do you want?" Liberty snarled as she tried to get over the dizziness.

"We had this conversation already. Harper took someone from me, and I'm going to give him a taste of his own medicine."

"I don't know what you're talking about." She wasn't lying. If it weren't for the fact that her brain was acting like mush, Liberty would have been thinking through everything Roy did on screen to figure out what Revenge was so upset about. But since her brain was acting like mush, Liberty could not think of anything Revenge could be so pissed off about.

"Of course you don't. Why would Harper tell you? You admire him, you see him as a hero, so why would he taint that image by confessing his sins to you?"

"You're not being very helpful," Liberty said in annoyance. What is going on with this guy? What did Roy do to piss him off?

Revenge walked in front of Liberty and roughly grabbed her face, forcing her head (that had been lolling, her neck unable to support it) still before taking something out of his pocket. "Harper took her from me!" he said, enraged, as he held up a picture of a woman around Revenge's age.

"What's that supposed to mean? How would Roy be able to do anything to her?"

Revenge grinned wickedly. "Oh, so he never told you this either?"

"Told me what?"

"Your friend is Arsenal, you know, the vigilante in the stupid red hood. That's how he spends his nights."

Of course, Liberty knew that. But she didn't know how much Revenge knew about her or Roy, so she had decided to act as if she knew nothing. "No, no, that can't be. He could never-"

"Be a murderer?"

"No, be that cool. You've got the wrong guy."

"Denial, is that what this is?" Revenge asked with a grin. He put the photo in his pocket again before grabbing a knife from his belt. Liberty nervously eyed the knife. "Facts are facts, Davis. Your friend is a murderous hellbeast. And you will have to help him pay for his sins. He took someone from my life, and I'll take someone from his." He chuckled lightly. "Of course, I won't be as merciful as Harper. He dealt out a quick death, and I don't think I'll do the same for you. And, of course, you can't die yet."

"Why not?"

"Eager to die, are you? I don't blame you. But, unfortunately for you, I had to watch as Harper murdered the love of my life. He will watch you die. But, until then." Revenge slowly dragged his knife across Liberty's arm, from her shoulder to her wrist, just before the rope binding her. Liberty's breath hitched and she squeezed her eyes shut, unable to watch. She involuntarily pulled against the rope and away from Revenge, her arm twitching in pain.