ten - escape plan

Jake's pack of Betas that formed a loose perimeter around us seemed to cringed away slightly from the pure fury coming off my mate in heated waves. Ethan stared them down until they all stepped backwards despite Jake's numerous protests. He looked about ready to stomp his foot. The supposed army he gathered looked uneasy by the Alpha before them. I glared at Jake from behind Ethan's shoulder but Jake dismissed my anger with a roll of his eyes. I suddenly felt small and useless, knowing I can never be as strong as my mate.

Ethan sensed my inner despair and turned his back on Jake, the obvious threat which is something Alphas never do, just to comfort me. A warm feeling of content blossomed my heart as Ethan circled his arms around me, enveloping me into his body and showering me with his love.

"Your strengths aren't the same as mine honey and that's why we're perfect for each other. The moon goddess brought our wolves together and I got my precious little baby in the process. You're not useless at all Grayson.. but you are small" He said poking me until I giggled. Ethan nuzzled his face in my neck and I sighed happily but then we broke apart to hear Jake yelling at his wolves.

"Seriously guys? We fucking practiced this, I specifically remember saying don't look in the Alpha's eyes! That's how he intimidates lesser wolves. It's probably how he got Grayson to fuck him" He said. The sly smirk he wore told me he knew exactly what effect his words would have.

Both Aaron and I had to hold Ethan back from attacking, my arms strained around his thickly coiled torso. Ethan's limbs were tense until I pressed my mouth against his shoulder blade through his shirt, its all I could reach but it was enough to keep him in place. Aaron scanned the Betas, silently counting them and weighing our options.

"Ethan think about what you're doing! The two of us against an army pack?" Aaron said getting over his anger with Ethan to stand side by side with us. "It's too soon, we're surrounded on all sides."

"Hey I'm right here! There's three of us to fight" I said defensively. Ethan's growl cut me off immediately, twisting back to press his large hand against my belly. I rolled my eyes and stepped backwards out of arms reach.

"Ethan stop it. I'm pregnant, not helpless" I said but he had already made up his mind, turned away and faced our impending threat. Through our bond I could feel Ethan's wolf rising to the surface and take control. He let it happen giving in to his more savage, primal nature in preparation to fight for the kill. He probably would've slaughtered the lot of them if it wasn't for my nearby heartbeat and that of my children to caution him but beyond that, Ethan was taking a backseat giving Onyx the reins.

With Onyx in control right now, he can't be reasoned with, well at least not by Aaron or me. I echoed my thoughts to Ethan so he would feel me calling Jem, my wolf to the forefront of my mind. Jem eased into my body, bringing out wisps of chocolate fur onto my arms and legs, my ears lengthen to mimic those of a wolf and my canines elongated into fangs.

I opened my eyes which were a buttery golden to Ethan's cloudy maroons eyes and he watched me approach him. I hugged him from behind, wrapping my arms around Ethan's midsection and my swollen belly pressed into the warm flesh of his back calming him immensely. The combined touch of his mate and his child was enough to sway him towards reason, leaving the warpath for a split second.

The fur melted away from his face and hands, Ethan's wolf fully retracted so I nodded to Aaron who stepped in now that Ethan was ready to listen. I stayed by his side and allowed my neck to be stretched uncomfortably so Ethan could bury his face with my scent. His constant touches made me smile and I let my own fur disappear as Jem slipped back into the corners of my subconscious.