Chapter 9: Early Resignation

Shayna took Silvester's advice of going home and feel asleep. When she woke up she didn't recall having any dreams, which meant she was well rested.

As she got breakfast ready, she soon realized she would need to go to the grocery store for some more food. She quickly ate, showered, then went to the local store several blocks away.

She walked around with a hand basket as she picked up what she needed, looking through the produce aisles and then heading toward cereal and other dry goods. As Shayna stopped to pick up some Froot Loops, she was surprised to see Silvester in the same aisle.

"Silvester?"

The man looked toward her with surprise.

"Oh, Shayna. What are you doing here?"

"The same thing you are, shopping," she replied with a smile, knowing his question was rather silly.

He chuckled. "Stupid question." Silvester then rolled his eyes.

"Did you get Wildcard fixed?"

"Not exactly," he sighed as he placed the box of oatmeal back on the shelf. "The mechanic plugged him into a charging system and that was it."

"So I'll have to wait until tonight to find out if he's working again?"

"Yes," Silvester answered calmly. "But tonight will be the last night. You will have to say good bye."

Furling her brow, Shayna didn't understand the sudden end to her job.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No," Silvester assured her, shaking his head. "After talking about my dad and uncle on our date, I have finally realized that I have been a fool this entire time to think I could ever reopen Black Jack's. It is a pipe dream, and a dangerous one at that. There are still bloodstains all over the place and they never found the boy's body. I should have accepted the fate of the business the day my dad died and I inherited it, but I was stubborn and wanted it to live on in his memory. Thank you for helping me see that Shayna. I will see you tonight at work for one last time before I lock the doors forever."

She stood there, dumbfounded by what she had just been told. Black Jack's was not going to reopen, they were going to be shutdown for good and Silvester was going to move on, all thanks to Shayna asking about what happened.

Watching Silvester walk away and around the corner, Shayna wasn't sure what she would do with only one night left. Wildcard was like a friend to her. She didn't want to say good bye, especially on such short notice.