twelve

Camila is awoken that same night by a ringing sound coming from the laptop sitting on her bedside table. She grabs it and opens it groggily, seeing it's Lauren requesting a Skype video call.

"Hey, Lo," she says while yawning.

"Are you awake?" she asks.

Camila smiles. "No, I'm just sleep talkin'."

She giggles. "Sorry for waking you up."

"No problem," she mumbles. "So, what's up?"

She lifts her finger to her mouth and chews down on one of her nails. "Brad and I broke up today."

This catches Camila's attention and immediately makes her more awake. She sits up in her bed, propping herself up against her headboard with pillows.

"What? Why?" she asks, trying to hide her excitement. She's sad for Lauren because she clearly loves Brad, but at the same time, Camila loves her, so knowing that she's single gives her hope that maybe they can happen.

She shrugs. "He just said that the long distance thing wasn't working, and we're both different people now. Him coming here was just the proof he needed I guess."

It's a blatant lie, but she can't let Camila know the real reason. She doesn't think that Camila loves her back, so for her to tell her that Brandon broke up with her so Lauren could be with her would just ruin their friendship. ⠀⠀⠀

Camila frowns. "Well, I'm sorry to hear that," she lies.

"It's whatever," she says.

"Are you okay? Y'all were together for a long time," Camila asks.

Lauren nods slowly. "I mean, it feels weird because he's been my boyfriend for so long, but I saw it coming. Long distance never works out. And Honey certainly is happy he's gone because now she gets to sleep on my bed again."

Camila laughs as Lauren shifts her camera towards the small yellow lab curled up in a ball on one of her pillows.

"If Honey is happy, that's all that truly matters," she jokes.

Lauren lifts a hand to cover her mouth as she yawns. "I should probably get some sleep and let you get back to yours."

Camila nods.

"Goodnight, Camz."

"Goodnight, Lo."