nineteen

Lucy's dad either came around to the idea of her marrying Luis or she's just ignoring the fact that he disapproves. She won't talk about it to anyone, and though Luis also knows, he refuses to tell anyone what happened either. Whatever happened with that situation, however, the wedding is on for a week before Lauren will leave for college in August, just over two months away.

⠀⠀⠀"It's all planned and ready to go," Lucy squeals, popping a grape from the plate of fruit in the middle of the picnic blanket into her mouth. "With very little help from this one."

Luis rolls his eyes, earning him a slap from Lucy. "That ain't true. I helped with the location and food."

⠀⠀⠀"Oh sure, that is so much work. Meanwhile you left me with all the decorations, invitations, and everything else," Lucy argues.

⠀⠀⠀He shrugs and kisses her temple. "I just want it to be exactly how you want it."

⠀⠀⠀"Well I for one," Camila pauses to wrap her arms around Lauren, "am looking forward to it."

Lauren nods her head in agreement. "It is going to be great."

⠀⠀⠀The principal of the high school, along with Lucy's father, step out onto the stage set up at the front of the empty field the whole town has gathered in for the annual graduation celebration. The town arranges a concert with local bands the day after the seniors graduate from high school, and the entire town comes out for the show. Since they graduated yesterday, today is the day.

⠀⠀⠀"Welcome!" Mrs. Gregory, the principal, cheers through the microphone. "I'd like to personally congratulate all of our seniors for their remarkable achievements throughout their school years and their graduation! I am very proud."

Camila, Luis, and Lucy look at each other and roll their eyes.

⠀⠀⠀"She gives this same speech word for word every year," Camila explains as the crowd bursts into applause for the principal.

⠀⠀⠀"Mayor Vives has a message to deliver now as well," she says before stepping away from the microphone and exiting the stage.

Lucy's dad adjusts the microphone to his height before speaking. "Good afternoon, everyone. How y'all doing?" The crowd cheers. "I want to personally give my congratulations to this year's graduating class. You're all such great kids, and it was my pleasure to meet y'all. This class has an especially personal place in my heart since my own daughter is a part of it. I know you will all go on to do great things. Let's get the show started!"

⠀⠀⠀"He's just saying that to make up for the fact that he was a total douche," Lucy growls.

Luis tightens his arms around her and kisses her neck, whispering something in her ear.

⠀⠀⠀"My stepdad's a douche too, so cheers to that," Lauren jokes, holding her bottle of lemonade out for Lucy to clink hers against.

⠀⠀⠀The first band on the set list prepares their instruments and begin to play, so the four teenagers settle in for the day.