twenty

Lauren steps away from the luggage carousel in the Kansas City airport, her suitcase containing her necessities from the past five days rolling behind her as she makes her way to the pick up area to meet her family. However, when she steps outside, it's not her mother's BMW or Mike's Toyota waiting for her. Instead, Camila's beat up truck is there.

⠀⠀⠀Squealing, she runs to the truck, practically flinging herself inside. She tosses her suitcase in the back and begins peppering Camila with kisses.

⠀⠀⠀"Hello to you too, Lolo," she jokes.

She pulls out of the airport, and they make the short drive back to their small town while Lauren tells Her about NYU orientation.

⠀⠀⠀"So was it as amazing as you thought it was going to be?" Camila asks when they get out of the truck and head towards Lauren's front door.

⠀⠀⠀She nods her head. "It was even better."

⠀⠀⠀"Dammit," she says. "I was kinda hopin' you'd hate it and decide to stay here with me."

⠀⠀⠀"You know," she says as she takes a hold of her hand before entering the house, "you could always come to New York with me."

She grimaces. "I'd hate New York. It's too big and loud. Plus, there ain't any horses."

Lauren is not surprised to find the house empty when they go inside, although it is strange that they aren't there for her return. She drops her bag off in her room and pulls Camila down on her bed.

⠀⠀⠀"You've never been there, so how can you know?" she asks. "What if you're brainwashed into thinking you hate big cities because the only one you've ever been to is Kansas City?"

"Some things you just know, Lo," she says.

⠀⠀⠀"So I guess we'll just have to do the long distance thing when I go away, right?" she questions. "Maybe you'll visit me, fall in love with the city, and decide to move there with me after all."

Camila runs her fingers through her raven hair. "We'll have to see, but for now, tell me all about orientation."