[part six]

"Rebekah," Elijah growled at his sister

"Please tell me you're here to fix a toilet, or something equally as innocent," Rebekah said through clenched teeth, pushing past him to step inside the foyer.

She looked at him with a mixture of disappointment and fury flooding her veins. "I thought we both agreed she was mine."

"I do not wish to discuss this with you right now. Please tell me the nature of your visit, since I know for a fact you were not invited."

"I just came to check on Y/N. You know, the whole Nanny debacle, her baby sister.." she waved her hand dismissively, no longer interested in defending herself with flimsy excuses. "But it seems my dear, concerned brother beat me to it."

A long, zig zagging crack in the wall caught her attention, and she stepped closer to inspect it. Her blue eyes then skimmed the rest of the room disdainfully, brow furrowed as she took in the condition of the home.

"What on Earth--"

Elijah put up a hand to stop her, knowing anything she said would be judgmental and snide. "I think you should leave." His words were clipped as he nodded towards the door, still propped open by his arm.

Rebekah narrowed her eyes at him, before relenting. "Fine. We will discuss this later."

She spun on her heel and strode out the door, leaving Elijah to stare after her with an angry fire blooming in his chest. He loved his sister, but she could be selfish and spoiled, and he wasn't about to let Y/N become her next victim.

A few minutes later, Y/N reappeared from wherever she'd retreated, still wrapped only in a throw blanket.

"Who was at the door?" She was perched at the bottom of the stairs, her palm resting on the handrail.

"Oh, it was just uh.. landscapers. They were looking for work," he mumbled, with a shake of his head.

"Oh, good. I was worried it was Mrs. Baker again, our nosy neighbor from down the block. She's always looking for something to complain about," she sighed. "Are you ready to finish conducting that business we'd discussed?"

Her smile was so radiant in that moment, so simultaneously mischievous and innocent, that Elijah had the sudden impulse to sweep her into his arms and never let her go. His desire to protect her was even stronger than his desire to finish what they'd started on the sofa.

He couldn't help but smile back, and when she dropped the blanket to the floor and winked at him, he had no choice but to chase her up the stairs, her giggles echoing off the empty walls.

______________

"You gentlemen just let me know if there's anything else I can get for you," Y/N purred, sliding her water-filled flask back into place inside her garter. She sashayed over to the lush marble bar, ready to hand the orders over to Camille, when she felt a presence beside her.