Part 2

" I want you out. Get out of my house this instant!" Father bellowed rasing to his full 6'2" height.

" You are 17 Ava, you're old enough to know I won't stand for this! Your little sister doesn't ever act like this." He said gesturing at me.

I stayed frozen right where I was. I bet at that moment I looked like a deer caught in headlight. I couldn't believe what was happening.

" We're trying to help you, and if you won't accept our help you can get out. Get out of this house until you're willing to get yourself help."

"I hate you, I hate you all." Ava screamed through the foyer as she made her way to the front door.

She reached for her car keys and slammed the door shut behind her.

" Trent, go after her. She's drunk and she took car keys." My mom said looking at my father's fuming face. He was still standing, hands clenched around the edge of the table.

"I suggest you shut up Rebecca, she made her own decision." He said tearing his burning gaze from the front door to my mom's tear stained face.

I looked around at my once whole but now broken family.

At this moment I could remember why Ava had started drinking in the first place.

It was in moments like this when my father was screaming at my mother and everything our world was chaotic.

Ava used to say that a drink a day made her forget about all the bad in the world. Then slowly one drink because two, then four, and it all lead to last week when she was arrested and charged with a DUI. Although she got 50 hours of community service, she's blown them off and continued her normal routine.

I bolted out of my seat and made a run my sister.

I could hear my father yelling mild threats as me but ignored him. She was my sister. I had nothing if not for her.

She was my world, my everything. She was always the one to pick me up when I fell, and the one to help me with my homework. She was more of a mother figure than my actual mother. I had to go after her.

Mom was bawling at this point. Her hands covered her eyes tired as they leaked tears.

She had been through a lot with my father and you could see it slowly getting to her.

A once blonde, full of life, and happy woman was now a tired and defeated wife. She'd given up all the fight left in her.

The night was cool and I could smell the damp, freshly cut grass.

We'd lived in the same cul-de-sac for my whole life.

Same school, same Maverick down the street four blocks from our house, same church, same everything.

What had changed?

My best friend, Savannah Benton, lived in the green house directly across from our white one.

My first grade teacher, Mrs. Brie, lived directly behind her in a light blue house.

Absolutely nothing had changed but the atmosphere was different.

I stood there with my back against the front door and observed Ava as she sat on the front steps of our home.

Off to her side sat a bottle of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey that she occasionally took a swig from.

She must have noticed my presence because after one particularly large swig from the near empty glass bottle, she slurred out my name and told me to sit.