Part 3

As I sat on the cold, grey cement near her.

I could practically see the alcohol stench radiating through her body.

I used to love how Ava always smelled.

It was a mixture of coconut and pineapple scent. I'd always try to steal some of the lotion she had used to smell like that but she'd take it from me, usually laughing, and say she needed to use it for the boys.

Memories.

Now no matter how hard I sniffed, I could only smell the alcohol that was slowly destroying her.

" Ellie, you know." she started running her finger over the rim of the bottle.

" Sometimes life hands you a shitty deck of cards and expects you to win with them."

Even though I hadn't the slightest idea of what she was talking about I nodded in agreeance.

" Yeah," I had said brushing dirt off my jeans.

" Maybe you should just come inside. At least try to reason with father. You know, he's just trying to help you."

" I don't need help!" She screamed suddenly enraged.

At that I jumped back in fear.

I'd never been afraid of my sister but at the moment, the person behind those eyes wasn't my sister.

There was a monster in my sister's body and the monsters name was addiction.

In one swift motion she took a swig from the bottle and smacked me on the cheek.

From the force of the smack I fell backwards off the concrete porch and onto the wet grass below.

Oliva leaned over the side of the porch to look me in the eyes.

Having finished the alcohol she threw it, barely missing me. It shattered on the ground near my face. Small shards jabbed into my cheek and I cried out in pain.

Ava stood and spoke.

" By the way, I've always hated you." She spat, sloppily using her arms for emphasis.

" I never wanted such a pig for a sister."

Wiping fresh blood from my face, I was astounded that she would say something like that.

I mean I always knew that I had a couple of pounds on Ava but I never thought of myself as fat.

Ava was the one who had told me that I was perfect just the way I was after I had been bullied in school for my weight.

At this point I was mad, I was mad that Ava was being so cruel and selfish.

Ava stood and made her way into the car. Turning the engine on, she backed out of the driveway and sped down the street and out of our small, familiar cul-de-sac.

"Fine. Leave like you always do!" I had yelled after her, holding my red stinging cheek

"I hate you too!"

Although I knew she couldn't hear me, I just had to yell. To something, or rather at someone. I could feel the hot tears running down my cheeks as I stood and ran back into the house.

Later that night, Father had gotten a call from the police department saying that there had been a multiple casualty accident after Ava had T-boned a small green car and pushed both herself and the green car off the side of a bridge.

I would later learn that the car that the green car Ava T-boned into the water had a woman and a man in it.

They were coming home from a boating trip and were 5 minutes from home where their 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son had been waiting eagerly for them to come home.

From that day on my family had never been the same.

Following the funeral, Mom had always tried to be strong but she didn't know that I could hear her crying alone at night.

Dad slowly just stopped coming home at night.

Bentley Finn was only 18 months old when Ava died but he knew something was up when his big sister never came home.