Holy Rabies!

„Nice to see that everything has stayed the same", Dennis thought grumpy while a peanut butter sandwich passed his right ear by a fraction of an inch.

During the bus ride nothing unusual happened.

As always, heaps of banana peels and other garbage flew through the area.

As always, the youngest students made a deafening noise.

As always, neither the air conditioning nor the fold-down seat backs worked.

And as always, a bad-tempered bus driver with headphones in his ears was on the driver's seat.

When the bus finally stopped in front of the school with squeaking tires and Dennis headed for the school gate after getting off, his mood immediately improved.

He instantly recognized the boy with blond tousled hair and an energy drink in his hand leaning casually against the gate.

„Mikey!", Dennis thought smiling.

Mikey was Dennis' best friend for over ten years and only they knew (apart from their families) the whole background story of the other one's true nature.

„How's it going, Dennis?", Mikey asked excitedly.

„I'm good, thanks. You?", Dennis replied grinning.

„Could have been worse, I guess", Mikey answered as they both entered the school building, „do you remember what day it is today?"

„Sure. August 27th"

„No, not the date. There's a speech from the principal today, remember?"

„Damn, you're right", Dennis exclaimed as he hit his forehead with his flat hand.

„Mhm" Mikey said trying to make a serious face, „will you come with me to the lockers for a minute?", he asked when suddenly the loudspeakers in the corridor cracked.

While Mikey and Dennis were barely able to understand their own words just a few seconds ago, a tense silence now ran through the entire school building. 

Shortly afterwards, the principal's voice rang out.

„Dear students, it's nice to hear you've all returned unscathed from your holidays. I am pleased to announce that our school will also receive an increase of students from the monster school in the suburb today"

A whisper went through the school corridors. 

„Among the new students from the monster school are students of the 11th grade only. For more details, please contact your instructors. I hope you have made good use of your timeout so we can start together, focused and goal-orientated, into a new successful school year. Now, please go to your classrooms"

Then the speakers cracked again.

Dennis and Mikey slowly turned their heads and stared at each other.

„That... This is our vintage", they both stuttered at the same time excitedly.

They were not, however, the only ones by far. A few seconds after, the corridors became so noisy that they quickly fled into their classrooms.