t w e l v e

carla
jordan

————————————————
"have you ever heard of the armenian genocide?"

"jesus christ jordan. i got a week of silence of you and your butt dials. but now youre calling me at like two in the morning. you realize i sleep."

"yea i get that but i just wanted a friend to talk to"

"who said we're friends, again?"

"im pretty sure you did one time."

"are you sure? that doesnt sound like something i would say...honestly at this point i am too tired to deal with your bullshit"

"oh. i just- im sorry"

"dont apologize. i might as well talk to you, jordan"

"ok."

"so what were you saying before? something about genocide?"

"the armenian genocide."

"do you want to tell me about it or?"

"well. i was well was just wondering i mean if you kne-"

"jordan. just say what you want to say."

"1.5 million armenian christians were systematically murdered by the ottoman empire, during world war one."

"wow thats terrible"

"i know but the worst part is that only two countries have ever acknowledged that the armenian genocide actually happened. people today dont know what happened. there is so much denial when it comes to the armenian genocide it upsets me."

"i get that. obviously im not armenian or anything but i understand the need to do the right thing. can i tell you a story. its a little off top-"

"no. thats ok tell me the story."

"its the story of my parents. my mother is Venezuelan and my father is german but lived in Venezuela for most of his life. as you know the economic and political situation there well sucks. i hear stories about how people of my own country eat garbage and live in the dark, scared, for days on end. my heart wrenches when i hear that. and it upsets me that the US wont do anything to help the Venezuelan people. my people. so i understand that feeling of feeling helpless."

"..."

"hello?"

"i um think that we should just be the UN"

"...."

"why... the...hell is your laugh so contagious..."

"for that i do not have an answer for you jordan."

"tell me. what do you wanna be when you grow up?"

"ha. you mean in a couple years? i think an environmental scientist. what about you mr. jordan?"

"maybe a journalist? or get a degree in comp sci"

"those are two very different things"

"i know. hey would it be really cheesy if i said i like different"

"yes. yes it would"

"damn."

"..."

"you must be tired i should let you sleep"

"i only yawned! i dont mind staying up."

"no! ill feel really guilty if you stay up late. goodnight carla."

"hehe goodmorning jordan."

———————————
oops im late. also this was one of my favorite chapters to write!! i know its a little choppy in some places but just not to get political or anything but yes. i wrote that.
-lila