B

Cory's P.O.V

Sometimes I hated everyone here. They just agreed to let a stranger live with us. And now he's trying to gain our trust by sweet talking Shelby? She gave him a look she'd never give a loser like me. A look of... a look of appreciation. I'm not going to let this 'Joel' boy take away my crush. I kept mumbling these things to myself as I walked through the hallway when I bumped into someone. I looked up to see Max. He frowned at me. "Look, Max, I..." I said.

"No, I'm not talking to you," he narrowed his eyes. "Not after what just happened. Joel needs help, and you're disrespectfully turning him down."

"I know, and I'm sorry." I really wasn't.

"Hm, doesn't seem like it."

"We need to talk."

"About?"

"Just come with me."

He continued walking away from me. I sighed. I went to my room and sat by the window. I stared out at Shelby and Jess messing around together, smiling and laughing. She was so cute, so kind, so smart. And I was so ugly, so cruel, so dumb. Shelby saw me looking out the window. She frowned as she glared at me. Jess pulled her away into the trees. The tears gathered in my eyes. I knew she would never love a loser like me. Not after how I treat her. But I can't help being me. Although, deep down, I had a feeling that one day, we would run away together, and we would be happy together.

"FAE SOLDIERS, HERE!!" Scott's voice shrieked from the lounge room. I put down the book I was writing in, a book about a girl called Frisk who fell into the world of monsters, and slowly made my way to the lounge. I plopped down on the ground. Everyone else's angry stares followed me. I could feel their anger at Scott, but they only showed it to me. "Can't you just put it down? Joel's here now," I sighed.

"No, what you did was wrong," Shelby replied.

"I try, I do. I try to be nice."

"Well, try harder!"

"I can't! I'm not This nice 17 year old who loves everyone. I'm not nice and perfect like you, Shelby. I'm... me." I felt tears in my eyes. "I just... I want to trust Joel but I can't. The best I can do is tolerate him, just." I put my head in my hands. "But obviously that's not enough." I cried quietly. I felt arms around my shoulders, and a positive energy around me. I lifted my head to see Shelby hugging me. "Sorry for upsetting you," she apologised. "I never realised that you felt that way."

"It's fine."

"Anyway, we need to go check out the damage done to Joel's village. Maybe we can find something to weaken them," Scott explained. "Pack up a small backpack. We're going tomorrow."

"Ugh, fine." I rolled my eyes. Shelby didn't move away from me, she didn't get mad at me. But her smile faded slightly. I stood up and went to my room.

I didn't want to have to lug around a heavy backpack, so I only put in a spare set of clothes and my writing book with a pen. I sat on my bed for a while. Could I change my ways? I heard paws come up the stairs and the door creak open. A pastel purple and grey wolf stood by the door, wagging its tail. "Sasha, you're in wolf form," I pointed out.

Her tail froze and she morphed into Sasha. "Sorry," she blushed. "Anyway, dinner's ready. We have some fries with vegetables!" She skipped out of the room. Sasha had the power of Shapeshifting. She could also talk to animals, which was one of the reasons she loved animals. The other reasons included them being cute and them being cool. I shrugged and went out to eat.