A Million Miles Apart

"Sora! Why are you looking so down?" the duck's voice tore Sora out of his trance-like state.

"Yeah Sora, are you feeling alright?" Goofy got up from his seat, walked up to Sora's and put his hand on the boy's shoulder.

Sora faced away from his friend.

"Come on Sora, talk to us!" Donald now jumped off his chair as well and walked up to the other side of Sora's seat, waving his hand right in front of his face.

"Ugh." Sora threw his head back up in annoyance and sunk down in his chair, "It's just that we've been flying in the Gummi for so long and..."

"Aaaand?" Donald nodded, showing him to continue.

"Well, I haven't been able to see or talk to my... friends, you know?" he closed his eyes.

"You mean Kairi and Riku?" Goofy asked in a worried tone, "And you want to talk to them?"

"Yeah..." Sora nodded, letting out a sigh.

"Well, then do!" Donald urged in a cheerful voice.

"What do you mean, Donald? We're somewhere between worlds, probably a million miles away from both of them."

"What did Chip and Dale give you the Gummi phone for then?"

"Sora, Donald is right! Riku got one too, you could just call him! Ah-yuck!"

"That's right!" Sora jumped up joyously, "But-" he slowly sat back down, his expression slightly filling up with sorrow again.

"What is it now, Sora?" Goofy asked, concerned.

"What if Riku is-" he started blushing, avoiding eye contact with the both of them, "what if he's busy and doesn't want to talk to me?".

"Sora, that's stupid!" Donald yelled.

"Yeah, he's your best friend, why wouldn't he want to talk to you? Ah-yuck!"

Sora had to blush even more, resembling the colour of a strawberry.

Donald got closer to him and reached into Sora's pocket, revealing the Gummi phone to rub it in his face, "Just call him already!"

Sora looked down at the phone, his eyes widening, "Fine." he took it and unlocked it. A few clicks and it dialled Riku's number. Sora could see his own face on the screen for just a second before Riku popped up almost immediately, as if he had been waiting for Sora to call him. Sora tried his hardest not to blush and smile like an idiot.

"Sora! I've tried to call you a few times, were you guys alright?" he smiled at Sora through the screen.

It took Sora a while to respond, as he stood in awe, "Uh- Yeah, totally! We're fine, Donald just got a bit homesick on trip." he revealed a wide grin.

"Hey!" the duck exclaimed angrily, about to throw a tantrum until Goofy grabbed him and used his hand to shut Donald's beak.

Riku let out a slight giggle.

And so, they talked for a few hours, Donald and Goofy sitting in the back, trying their best to ignore the two chattering through the phone. Every once in a while Donald would laugh or comment something like "Lovebirds" but none of the boys seemed to care nor to have even payed attention to what Donald was trying to imply.

Once Goofy heard a troubled Riku yelling "Sora?!", he walked up to Sora's chair. He saw the Gummi phone on the ground, face down.

"Sora, what happened? Is everything alright?" Goofy could hear a muffled version of Riku's voice through the phone's speaker as he picked up the Gummi phone revealing Riku's concerned face on the screen.

"Goofy!?" he put on a puzzled face, "What happened to Sora? Is he alright?" he yelled in concern.

Goofy looked to his side and smiled.

"Ah-yuck hoo hoo hoo hoo!"

"What? What is it, Goofy?"

"Garwsh, looks like Sora fell asleep and dropped the phone. Ah-hyuck!"

"He... he fell asleep?"

"Yeah, you two have been talking for a few hours and Sora didn't get much sleep during the last few days, so I guess the poor boy just gave out."

Riku's cheeks started to light up and all he could do was wholeheartedly let out a smile. Goofy turned around the phone's camera, offering Riku the sight of Donald covering the dozing Sora with a blanket through the screen.

"See, Riku? He felt so safe talking to you, that he could just slip right into the dreamland, ah-hyuck!

"Yeah, Sora had been having some bad nightmares lately." the duck joined in, as quietly as he could.

"Yeah... he really looks at ease like this." Riku continued smiling, as the sight of Sora sleeping was not only endearing but peaceful.

"Good night, Sora." he said as he let out a sigh of solace.

~

(Art credit to gummytwozeroone on tumblr.)