Haircut

"Ouch! Sora, be more careful!"

"Sorry, sorry! But there are a lot of knots in your hair. I don't think Kairi's brush is working for your hair."

"Doesn't she have another one?" Riku flinched as Sora started running his fingers through his hair instead of the brush.

"Nope." Sora bit his lower lip, trying to concentrate.

"How would you kno- OUCH!"

"Sorry!" he squeezed his eyes at the sound of Riku's screech "Hold up."

Riku touched his twinging head.

"What are you doing, Sora?"

As he turned around, he could hear Sora rummaging in the bathroom.

"Just looking for someth- Got it!"

Riku couldn't see what Sora had just picked up, he could only hear him closing the shelves. Assuming he found another hairbrush, Riku turned around again, blowing out a breath.

When Riku looked in the mirror, he saw Sora approaching him with a pair of scissors in his hands.

"Sora!" he turned around in panic "What are you trying to do?"

"Don't worry. I just want to cut out the knots that I couldn't brush out."

"Please be careful." the look on his face still showed his concern.

"Of course. Just- turn around."

Riku could see the concentration on Sora's face through the mirror and hear the frequent snipping of the scissors.

"You need to stop flinging everytime I cut something out, Riku."

"I'm sorry, it's just a little unnerving."

"Well," Sora let out a sigh "you know you wouldn't always have to struggle with your grooming as much if you just cut your hair."

"What like, cut it short?"

"Yeah, like mine or something."

"Actually that's not a bad idea. I've never thought about it, but..."

"But what?" Sora put the scissors down.

"Can I just get rid of it? I wouldn't even know how to cut it properly."

"I can do it!" Sora smiled confidently, holding the scissors up high.

"You really think you can do that?"

"Yeah, it's just a few snips and snaps." he imitated the movements with the scissors in the air "Kairi also cut her hair herself recently and it looks just fine. It can't be that hard."

"Mmh, Sora, I don't know. Are you a hundred percent sure?"

Sora was already approaching Riku's hair with the scissors again.

"Well, not a hundred percent buuu- Ugh, just let me do it, I'll be careful."

"Alright."

Riku closed his eyes. After a few 'snips and snaps' Sora let go of the scissors and with the other hand wiped his forehead as if he was sweating.

"Phew." he sighed "I think we're done. You can... open your eyes now."

He opened one of his eyes slowly and then immediately opened them both, almost amazed. He looked at himself in the mirror, slightly turning his head left and right, examining his new haircut.

"Sora... this-"

"What?! Is it bad?" he panicked.

"No, it's actually not that bad."

"See? I told you I could do this!" he gleamed with boldness.

"Well, maybe Kairi has to help me with these tips a little bit, but I guess for now..."

"What?! You just said it was fine!"

Riku's teasing smile turned into a laugh as he saw Sora's disappointed face.

"Riku!" he complained.

"Don't be so mad." he stood up, still giggling a little.

He got closer to Sora, lowering his head to meet his eyes. Sora looked at Riku with big eyes, his cheeks lighting up, their faces only inches from another.

"Thank you." Riku smiled softly and pecked Sora's lips.

As he distanced his face a little from Sora's again, he could feel a strange warmth in his face and tried facing the other way. Sora still stood in a sort of shock for a few seconds, but as he noticed Riku taking a few steps away from him, he jumped towards him and flung his arms around his neck. Sora kissed him on the cheek and Riku grabbed onto him, not wanting him to fall down.

"You're welcome, Riku." they smiled at each other, both of their faces red as their foreheads touched.

~

(Art credit to kahazel_ on Twitter.)