Chapter 3

Millie

I can't believe how much it sucks to walk across campus alone. I feel like a loser, like everyone knows, even though they probably don't. Yet. The school's not that huge, so it's bound to get around soon.

My phone buzzes. Seeing its Jacob for the ten millionth time, I hit ignore. Does he really think I'm going to talk to him? That after one day I'm ready to hear more of his excuses? Obviously he doesn't know me at all. Did I ever give him a chance to really know me?

I have a sudden huge craving for caffeine. Nothing makes things better like an iced, skinny caramel macchiato. I pick up my phone to call someone and realize I have no one to go get coffee with me. No one. I haven't really had the chance to get to know many of the girls here. The ones I do know are the people Jacob introduced me to—girls in his sister sorority and girlfriends of his frat brothers. I can't believe I was stupid enough to let this happen to me.

My heart starts to beat faster. I breathe deep to try and calm it.

It doesn't take long to get to the coffee house and order. I sit in the corner, trying to work through my mess of a life. Jacob's words bounce around in my brain. No one's going to go after you. They know you're mine.

I hate that he's right. Need him to be wrong.
How the hell do I do that alone though? Ugh. I don't want to date. Just the thought of the smiley, get-to-know-you phase makes me want to puke. And dating here at school isn't going to be easy, considering everyone seems to be friends with Jacob, or at least know who he is.

Jacob.

A moment of hurt sneaks its way into my heart. I don't want to miss the idea of him. The idea wasn't real. I don't even know if I loved Jacob. Yeah, we said it, but did I really love him? Love, on principle, scares the hell out of me. I haven't let myself love someone in...

"You can't go where Mommy's going."

I squeeze my eyes shut as though that will quiet Mom's voice in my brain.

I might not have loved Jacob, but I thought we would be together forever. I thought we'd be happy together. Now, I know I wasn't the only one with secrets. At least mine didn't consist of being with someone else.

And why does every thought in my brain have to go back to Jacob? I'm a nineteen-year-old college girl. I should be living it up. Enjoying my independence and...singleness.

I sit up straighter. I might feel like crap inside, but I'm not about to show it.

I look around. None of the guys who walk in the coffee shop are Millie material. And why am I looking at guys anyway? Because I made it look like someone's been hitting on me. Or maybe I just want to show him, people will look at me.

The door opens. Oh my God. I duck down in my seat.

What are you doing, Millie. Sit tall, be proud. You're better than this.

Only I can't make myself do it.

I gave him two years and he doesn't care?

He called me half an hour ago yet here he is with Red on his arm.

Two years.

Oh God. My chest hurts. My breaths come out faster and my vision becomes blurry.

This can't be happening to me.

I fight to slow my breathing—find something to concentrate on, keeping my eyes anywhere except on Jacob. There's a little menu with their specials and I read it—the same thing over and over just to give myself something to focus on. The coffee shop gets kind of quiet. An eerie feeling settles over me, and I swear I hear whispers.