Chapter 29

Millie

Finn doesn't feel like doing anything after we see his mom. Which I understand. I can't imagine going through what he is and wish there was something I could do for him. I hate feeling helpless. I know it's something I share with him. I think we've both felt like that too often. It's probably one of the things that drew us together.

We stay at his house again. It's wild and crazy as ever. I wonder if Josh does anything but party.

"How do you handle the partying all the time?" I ask as we lay in bed the next day.

Finn shrugs. "Because I was always partying with him?"

"Oh."

His reply makes happiness shoot through me. He's with me instead of partying.

"I'm more fun, aren't I?" I tease.

Finn laughs. I love the sound.

"You're fucking cocky is what you are."

"You have the worst mouth."

"I thought we decided women like my mouth. You like my mouth, don't you?"

He starts to use it on me and I can't help but shiver. He definitely knows how to use it.

"You're always distracting me." I let my eyes close and just feel.

"You like that too."

And he's right. I do. I also like this playful side of him. Love that I'm the one who gets to see it.

"Stop talking." My hand slides through his curls.

"Done," he says. Like always Finn makes good on his word.

•••

"Have you done this before?" I ask Finn as he climb the grassy hill. A few people are already sitting on the ground, different colored blankets under them or some with chairs. There are a few trees, but not a lot. Probably why they do this in the Fall so it's not too hot. Tonight will be chilly though. I'm looking forward to that.

"What?" he replies. I almost forgot I asked him a question.

"The concerts in the park. Have you come to them before?" They're sponsored by the college. Indie type bands play at them. We don't even know what kind of music to expect, but felt like getting out of the house. Like doing something normal.

Finn rolls his eyes at me. "Yeah. All the fucking time. I help organize it."

I shake my head and laugh at him. "You're right. What could I have been thinking? It would require you to actually want to do something normal or happy."

He does something that surprises me then. Finn tackles me. He's careful and I go down easily because...well because I don't mind being taken down by him.

He sits on my stomach, straddling me. He's able to hold both my hands in one of this and I can't get away.

"How's this? Is this normal and happy? Is this what I'm supposed to do? Tickle you and be all fucking sappy in public?"

His voice is light. A smile tilts his mouth.

"No. You're not doing it right," I tell him.

He cocks his head. "I'm not? Fuck."

"You're supposed to kiss me."

Without a word he leans forward and does just what I said. Our tongues dance together, around each other the way he calls me little dancer. All too soon he's pulling away.

"She's good at that, isn't she?" At the sound of Jacob's voice, I tense.

Finn doesn't though. He's off me and on his feet in two seconds.

"What the fuck did you just say?" Finn hisses.

I scramble to my feet. What did I ever see in Jacob?

"Don't." I grab onto Finn's arms.

"I said she's good at that, though I'm pretty sure you heard me." Sadie is by his side. I'm surprised he doesn't have a friend with him. He's such a coward.

"Don't say a word about her again. Talk shit about me all you want. You bring her into it and I'm going to have to beat your ass. Again. How many times will that make?"

Finn starts holding up, one, two, three, four, five fingers until he's holding both hands up.

"Are we really going to do this again?" Finn asks.

"I'm down if you are, but you have your girl with you and I'd hate for her to have to clean you up again. Why don't you go do what you came here to do. Talk shit about me to your friends later and pretend you're man enough to matter to me. If you couldn't tell, I'm trying to kiss my girl."

I know Finn. He really will fight if Jacob tries anything. I tighten my grip on his hand. Jacob's face is bright red. He's pissed and embarrassed. I can't believe I was with him so long. That I was so much like him.

"This isn't over," Jacob says before walking away. It's hard not to laugh. It's such a "B" movie thing to say.

"I really fucking hate him." The tension in Finn finally releases.

"I'm sorry. I just want to have a good day."

He sighs, which doesn't sound very good, but says, "We will. We're normal and happy, remember?"

I smile before we finish trekking up the hill, find a spot and lay our blanket down.

The music starts not long after. A guy with a guitar who sounds a little like Bobby Long, one of the only people I really listen to. This guy isn't as good.

I sit between Finn's legs and he has his arms around me. I feel his heart against my back and wonder if mine matches his rhythm.

When it starts to get cold, he pulls the blanket around us. Jacob's forgotten. Everything else can wait. We just sit back and listen. I'm not even sure if he likes this kind of music, but he's here and that means something to me.

"You owe me for this," he whispers in my ear before nipping it with his teeth.

"How did I know you'd say something like that?"

He chuckles and keeps holding me. I'm glad it's cold, but even if it was a hundred degrees I would still love to have him wrapped around me.

When it's over we hold hands as we walk back to the car. I'm not sure how many more days we'll have like this— if it was a fluke because he just needed a break or if we'll try to make this our new normal. All I know is I loved it. I love everything I do with him.

"We just went on a fucking date, Tiny Dancer," Finn teases when we get to the car.

"I was just thinking that."

He smirks. "It wasn't so bad. Mom will be proud."

I return his smile before hugging him. What is it about this boy that makes me come undone? That makes me need to touch him and talk to him and just be with him?

"Did you only go out with me to make your mom happy?" I laugh.

Finn shakes his head. "Are you trying to pull compliments out of me?"

I playfully push him before getting in the car. He's right behind me, tossing the blanket into the backseat and then climbing into the passenger side.

I hardly have the car started when my phone rings. It's Mary's number. Finn doesn't have a new phone so maybe she's just calling to say hi.

"Hello." I listen. Tears automatically pool in my eyes. My heart breaks. "Okay...I understand."

I hang up the phone and look at Finn. "That was Maggie." I grab his hand and he tenses.

"She's not doing well...They're calling in hospice. They think it's time."

That quickly our normal...our happy, is over