Chapter 9

Millie

I feel like shit. It's crazy how you can drink and think you're okay until you're suddenly not okay. When Finn got close, I suddenly wasn't okay anymore.
All those sinewy muscles up close and personal and tribal tattoos right there for me to dissect. The roughness of his voice. In all the times I got hot and heavy with Jacob he never sounded like that and with Finn, we weren't even doing anything. I remember Mom telling me there's something in a man's voice...in the inflection or how he talks to you or about you that says a lot. I never thought about it until now and I can't help but wonder what Finn's voice meant.

Besides the fact that he was turned on. Yeah, I felt that too, right before I lost it.

I get out of bed and brush my teeth. No point lying around all day going over something that doesn't matter.

Because it doesn't.

Matter, I mean.

Just to prove it I pick up my phone and call him using the number on the paper he gave me. I have no idea how early his classes are, but mine start soon and if he's going to do this, I need him to do it all the way.

"What?" His voice is even gruffer than it was last night.

"That's no way to talk to the love of your life."

"I'm not a morning person Prin—Millie. Spit it out before I hang up on you the way you did to me last night."

Hang up on him? Oh shit. I did call him last night. I can't believe I forgot that. Why did I do that?

"Tick tock," he says like he did the first day we met.

I'm about to call him on being an asshole again, but I don't have the time right now.

"What time are your classes? I need you to meet me at 10:40. Jacob and Red are in that class so it would be nice if you picked me up."

"Would it?" He sounds out of breath.

"What are you doing? Why do you sound like that?"

There's a pause on the other side of the line before he says... "Did you ever think you caught me in the middle of something? You know how guys are in the morning, and I did get left high and dry last—"

"Finn! Oh my God. You're disgusting. I swear you're the crudest person I ever met." I'm trying to yell over his laugher. It's the first time I've heard him really let go.

"You asked."

He says no apologies. I'm sure he's lying. Pretty sure. He has to be, right?

"I hate you."

"Right back at ya. So where do you need me to parade around and show you off? I have other stuff to do today."

I tell him which class I'm in and he agrees to meet me.

Long after we hang up, I still have his rough voice in my mind. Even a few pictures of him doing exactly what he said he was doing. Which makes for a nice image, but one I need to find a way to kick out of my mind.

After running down the hall to shower, I get dressed in a skirt, tank, and another shirt over it that hangs off my shoulder. I leave my hair down, throw on a pair of wedges to give me height and head to class.
No, it's not the best outfit to wear to school, but it works.
The second I walk into the large, oval shaped room, I see Jacob. He stares me down, his eyes narrowed. I give him my best smile. Jacob takes a step toward me when the professor walks in and starts talking.
I feel his eyes on my back the whole class. Take that, Jacob. This is what you get for throwing me away.
"I'm not the first one to think so either." I try to block out his words.

As soon as class ends, I head toward the door.

"Mills! Wait up!" Jacob shouts from behind me, but I keep going. Finn better be outside this door right now.

Better. Be.

"I don't have time, Jacob," I say over my shoulder.

Stepping into the busy hallway, I look around. Of course. Finn isn't here.

"Mills." He grabs my wrist. "I just want to talk."

Red has her arms crossed, but she's standing a few feet away from us. Part of me wants to gloat, but I'm too annoyed.

"I'm pretty sure you don't have the right to grab me."

I've been grabbed against my will before and I'm not about to let it happen again. I jerk my hand away.

"Sorry, sorry. You're right. I'm worried about you, Millie. That guy? He's unstable. He seriously attacked us when we were out one night. You're not being yourself and I want to make sure everything's okay."

His voice is sugary sweet. It's the voice he uses to get his way. I've heard it a million times, except it used to be he had to use it on other people and not me.

It reminds me of what this is all about. Jacobs  used to having his way. Winning. He never expected me to walk away. He wanted to have his cake and eat it too. Or to screw around with Red, but have me on his arm. Not going to happen.

So I play the game too.

"I'm better than okay, actually. Finn...he..." I use the same fakeness on him, as though I'm so enamored with Finn that I can't find the words to explain him when really I want to use a few choice words that wouldn't help my situation.

"You're going to get hurt. He's using you to get in your pants."

Now this pissed me off.

"Excuse me? You're the one who—"

"This is the second time I've caught you messing with my girl, Pretty Boy. I'm not going to let it go a third time."

I can't believe it, but I actually exhale a sigh of relief at the sound of Finns' voice. Finn pulls me in front of him, and puts his hands on my waist. Under my shirt. They're warm against my skin.

"Hey. Sorry I'm late." He leans forward and presses his lips to my neck and holy shit, I shiver. He's good at this.

"H—hey."

Ugh. Why is my voice breaking? I need to get myself together.

"You're done here, right? I really want to get you alone." He kisses my neck again. Even nibbles on it a little and out of nowhere I giggle. Okay. I need to chill and I don't remember telling him he could kiss me, but there's no way I'm stopping him now.
Jacob is just watching us, eyes wide. Fire burns in them and I know he wants to explode, but I also know he's probably afraid of Finn. This couldn't be more perfect.

"Yeah. I'm definitely ready."

"Catch ya later, Pretty Boy." I hear the grin in Finn's voice. He latches our hands together, and we walk away, while I try to ignore the tingles shooting around in my stomach.