Footsteps

GIF OF ZACK ON THE SIDE <333 He's such a babe!
________________________________________________________

I awoken to slight pressure on my hip. I felt a strong hand. I knew it was Zack. A slight smile appeared on my face as I slowly got up, trying not to wake him. 

Right when I got up from the couch I heard him.  "Mornin'.." His raspy, soft morning voice suprised me. I felt jitters through my stomach from his voice. I turned around and smiled at him.

"Morning."

 "You feelin' better?" He asked, as he rubbed his eyes. 

"Uh huh, much better. Thanks, for everything!" I thanked him with a nice smile.  I was really grateful to have such a nice roomate. Even though Zack and I just met, he was really a nice genuine guy. I really needed someone like him, ecspecially with my best friend going crazy. 

I turned on my heel and went upstairs. I felt like crap, from lastnight. I didn't want Zack to worry about me. I just needed to keep it to myself. I was overly worried about Shane and my safety. Shane's history, wasn't that great. He kind of went overboard on things, to the point where you'd call the cops. 

I tried to forget about the whole Shane drama. I grabbed my towel and went into the shower. I turned the knob to the hottest temperature I could handle. I definatley needed some steam to relieve some of the stress from my body. 

I let my head drop back as the hot drops of water crashed onto my body. I stood in the shower with my eyes closed, just trying to relax. By the time I saw that my hands were pink raisins and the water getting colder, I decided it was about time I got out. 

I dried my hair and put on some clothes. I touched up my eyelashes with some mascara and headed downstairs. I heard my stomach grumble on the way down the stairs. As I entered the kitchen, I saw Zack at the sink. He was cleaning dishes. 

He turned his head to the side to see me. He had a nice cute smile plastered on his face. He looked worried but I knew he was trying to hide it. 

"Hey, I made you some breakfast." He said, tilting his head towards the counter. I skipped happily over towards the counter and picked up the gourmet meal. I smiled, somehow Zack always seemed to read my mind. It was a stack of 3 pancakes with syrup, topped off with strawberries and whip cream. 

"Mmmm." I hummed. I walked over to Zack, who had his back facing me. I grabbed him into a hug from behind. I pressed my face into his back, taking in his masculine scent. 

"Thanks, Zack." I said, into his back. 

"Aw. No problem." He replied, turning around. He pulled me into a big hug. My face brushed his hard muscular chest. I quickly took a step back, and looked down. I felt my cheeks flush. 

I looked up at Zack. Our eyes met. This was the first time since I've moved in, that I actually studied Zack. His face was beyond gorgeous. His perfect face structure. He had an amazing set of green sparkly eyes. His lips looked so soft and tender. Flwaless skin. And his smile. His smile was the most adorable thing ever. I could honestly, stare at him for days. 

With all my thoughts in my head, it felt like Zack and I were standing there for hours. 

I quickly shook my head and looked away. I felt a tiny smile spread across my face. I let out a giggle and went to eat my delicious pancakes that were patienly waiting for me. 

I devoured the pancakes in the matter of seconds. 

I walked into the living room and plopped on the couch, scanning through the channels. I heard Zack's footsteps shuffling  from upstairs. 

Moments later, Zack came downstairs. He had some cords and cd's in his hands. He was fiddling with his cell phone in his other hand. He slipped the phone in his pocket and looked at me. 

"Hey, I gotta go to work." He said. I kind of felt sad when he told me. I loved having Zack around, but I knew before moving in I wouldn't be seeing much of him due to his career. 

I nodded and put on a smile, "Alright." 

He smiled back and grabbed his keys. "I'll be back around 9, 9:30. Call me if you need anything. Oh and don't wait up for me for dinner." 

I nodded and heard the front door shut. I sat on the couch, just watching tv. Bored. I decided to call my Aunt Macy. 

Ring-Ring.

"Hey, Kendra!" 

"Aunt Mace. What are you doin'?" 

"Nothing. I was actually just about to call you. Wanna get something to eat?" 

We agreed to meet at some local cafe in the area. I got into my car and headed off towards the cafe. I saw my Aunt Macy pull up just seconds after I had pulled up. We both walked towards the cafe and ordered our meals. 

"So what happened with Shane?" She asked, worried.

I shook my head. "It's nothing. He's just crazy."

I saw her give me a look. "C'mon Ken. Tell me."  

"I don't know, really. He made a move on me, things got wierd. He came over to the house and was being so rude." I paused, as the waiter came over with our food. 

"So, go on." She ordered me.

"Uh, I don't know. He went crazy. You know how Shane is when he gets mad over stuff. He made a dent in his car with his fist. He's crazy." I said. 

"And? What else happened?"

"Nothing."

"Kendra, please. I know that's not all what happened.."

I rolled my eyes and continued. "Well Zack heard the bang and came out. Shane got a bit snippy with him and I got mad, so I told Shane to leave. I guess Shane got offended and got into his car. But before he left he smiled at me and said he'd be back."

My Aunt's eyes grew big.

"That boy is crazy. Be careful, Kendra. You don't know what people are capable of... Even if he is your best friend."

Those words sunk into my brain. I was really scared. I knew Shane but I also knew he was really crazy. He always gotten into trouble by the bizarre things he's done. I snapped out of my daze when I heard my Aunt say something about Zack. 

"Uh, what? What about Zack?" 

"I said, Shane's probably jealous of Zack." She laughed but gave me a serious look. 

I didn't reply, I just looked down at my plate and ate the rest of my food. I saw her gave me a sincere smile. The check came to the table, I suggested I pay but she grabbed her credit card and gave it to the waiter. I rolled my eyes and got up, feeling a little better from the talk with my Aunt. I looked outside, it was slightly snowing.

We walked to our cars and gave each other a hug. I shivered as the snow fell on me from above. I watched as my Aunt Macy walked towards her car. 

"Wait, Aunt Mace." 

She turned on her heels and looked at me, "Yeah?" 

"Do you think, Shane would do anything?" I asked, quietly and unsure. 

She shrugged her shoulders and looked at me. "Just be careful."

My heart dropped, I shut my eyes, wishing I never asked that question. I got into my car and sat there, in silence. I watched the tiny snowflakes hit my winshield. I started the car and dusted the snow off and drove carefully to a local groccery store, deciding to grab Zack something to eat. I knew he didn't want me to do anything for him, but I felt like being a roommate it was my job to help him out. 

I grabbed some hamburgers and frozen fries. I stopped by the produce and grabbed some delicious fruits to make a healthy smoothie. I paid and drove off towards my house. I was kind of excited to make a meal for Zack, since he's been more than nice to me. 

I parked my car in the driveway and grabbed all the bags. As I walked up the walkway, I noticed footsteps that led towards the front door. The footsteps at the frontdoor were scattered everywhere, like the person was fiddling with the front door.

I followed the tracks. My heart started to race. The footsteps went from the front door all the way around back. My eyes grew big. I began to follow the tracks, quickly but carefully. Once I reached the back of the house, I slowly turned the corner. There was no one. My heart seemed to relax. I walked towards the last footstep, which led to the backdoor. 

I looked around me, there was no one. Just trees, snow, townhomes, snow and shrubs. I shivered from the cold and the creepiness of someone trying to break in. Then Shane crept into my mind. My heart started to race and panic rushed over my body. You could see the smoke coming from my hot breath surround me. I tightened my grip on my keys and bag of grocceries. 

I looked one last time and darted towards the front door. I opened the door and quickly locked it. I looked around my home, seeing that everything was in order. Nothing changed. I placed the grocceries ontop of the countertop and took my phone out.

I clicked on Zack's name and pressed the phone up to my ear.

Ring-Ring..Ring-Ring..Ring-Rin-

"Hello?" I barely heard Zack's voice from all the racket in the background.  

 "Zack!" I yelled, due to the panic. I heard some movement through the telephone and then a door or something shutting. 

"Kendra. You alright?" I heard Zack's voice more clearer.

"Kinda, I gotta ask you somethin'."

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Please tell me you came to the house earlier and then left..." My voice drifted, waiting for his answer. I shut my eyes tightly, hoping he'd say yes.

"Uh. No. I've been at the studio all day. Why? Is everything alright?" He asked. His voice more worried.

A tear shed, falling onto my cheek. "Za-ck." My voice cracked, "I'm scared." I whispered.  

"Kendra. What happened?" His voice, stern and worried.

"There's footsteps around the house."

"Huh?"  He said, more confused. "Wait, no! Kendra. Make sure the doors are locked!" He yelled, probably catching on to the whole situation.  

"I did. But not the basements." I said, trying to regain my breathing.

"Stay where you are." 

Click.

I couldn't even say anything else to Zack. He just hung up the phone. I just stood in the kitchen, playing music from my phone. I was trying to relax, trying to forget about the footsteps that surrounded my home. I began to make Zack and I hamburgers and fries. I took out the blender Zack had bought. I blended all the fruits I bought. I grabbed two plates, placing a hamburger with lettuce,cheese and tomatoes on them. On the side I put fries. Then, I set out the nice smoothies. 
I grabbed the bottle of ketchup and drenched his fries with them, knowing it was his favorite.

As I took a sip out of my drink I heard a big thump at the front door. I placed my drink on the table, nearly dropping it. I ran towards the door, fear running through me. Before I got to the door, it opened...