Six

Idk, I feel shit, enjoy

50 votes

10 comments

-

I woke up in the early hours, the living room was just beginning to brighten with the autumn dawn. I blinked a few times and took a deep breath, Nathan's arm was still draped over me, I could feel his deep uneven breath on my back; he was still sleeping.

It was obvious that the pair of us hadn't moved all night, this was proved when I tried to ait up and found all my limbs stiff and achey. I slowly and gently removed Nathan's arms from off me and forced my complaining body to a sitting position. When I finally got I to the position I wanted I rubbed my tired eyes.

I looked at the clock on the shelf, the time reading twenty to six. I had plenty of time before Josh would be here to pick me up. I sighed now, realising my next challenge was forcing my stiff body up into a standing position and then climbing the stairs. I took a deep breath and rolled myself, up off the couch only to find the floor make contact with my body as I fell

"That sounded painful"

I looked up to see my dad stood in the doorway. Seeing him sober and stood before me was enough to get my joints to move. I stood up and looked at him, only just able to see his face in the light. I watched as he looked over to the couch, where Nathan was still laid out fast asleep.

"Dad" I whispered

He pointed to Nathan "He take care of you?"

"Well, yeah but like I mean-"

"You're not together because he was your sisters boyfriend" Dad looked at me

I felt my mouth drop open and I lost all ability to close it once more. "How?"

"The book was on her bed"

I cursed under my breath and looked back to dad still stood there, he looked at me and sighed deep, watching me as I stood there. Both of us taking in the others presence, it was a time when he would remember me and I saw my dad for who I knew that he was, not the drunken mess he seems to prefer.

"You take good care of me babygirl" He said, sniffing and rubbing his eyes like he was about to cry

I nodded "I love you dad"

I heard him sniff and he spoke up again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm such an awful father to you"

"No, dad don't" I felt the tears build in my tired eyes. "We've all been through so much"

He looked down at the floor, not saying anything but both of us just stood there. I took a step foward and he looked up, his eyes brimmed with tears as he looked at me. I bit my lip and walked so I was directly infornt of him.

He held his arms out which I went into without hesitation again. This was the first time I had been able to hug my father when he would remember it, it was the first time he would remeber my face through the day. I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy this rare moment between father and daughter, when his arms wrapped around me, keeping me safe from harm and as his arms tightened around me I felt all worry and concern and sadness drain away.

I felt myself fall back to the little girl that would run into her fathers arms when he came home from work, he would crouch down and open both arms for Cory and I to run into. Both of us giggling as we knocked him back, his arms holding us tight as he laughed with us.

I sighed as I came back to reality and pulled out of my fathers grip. he looked at me and ran his thumb under my eye, cathing the tear that I didn't know had fell. He gave me a watery smile and ran his thumb across my cheek.