nineteen

a/n - sorry it took so long to update jeez i feel bad

"we're going out tonight."

"what? w-why?" i said, throwing a pillow over my lap.

"because i want to go out."

"why?" i said, snarkily.

"because, mar, i want to explore toronto."

"why?" i nagged making him roll his eyes out of pure annoyance.

"because, i just- ugh- why can't you accept the fact that i want to go out?" he raised his voice, making sure i heard him. and i did, loud and clear.

"thanks asshole, but i want to go shopping first."

"fine, if you want to get all pretty and shit, do it."

"i'm going to have a shower. you have no problem making yourself at home." i stood up, gesturing towards his sprawled out body that was practically covering the whole couch.

"alright, fine mar."

third person

mara's echoing steps faded as she walked up the wooden stairs, heading into her bathroom to shower. she turned it on, making sure that she had her towel and clothes, because god know's that anthony would be in her room or not when she finished up. once she was fully bare, she removed her fingertips from the warm water, stepping in. the not boiling but not freezing water trailed down her back as each drop arbitrarily dripped down the drain.

meanwhile downstairs, anthony had moved from his sprawled out position on top of their loveseat. his finger scanned the shelf on top of the fireplace, noticing multiple pictures of mara and her dad, some occasional photos with her mother. his fingers carved the makeshift spine of a book, it's unruling pink colour popping out. with orange writing messily spread across the front of the paper cover, he laughed looking at the author.

mara grace hill

he figured she wrote this short, colour-filled book when she was much younger. he flipped open the first page, tryin his best to make out what scrabbled words were printed across each page. once he finished flipping through the pages and admiring as best detailed drawings four year old mara could do. he placed it back in it's proper place on the light wooden shelf as his eyes fell to a large spine of an album.

he started flipping through the pages, seeing mara come downstairs.

"the resemblance between you and your mom is uncanny." his eyes drifted to her mom holding her while she was still a baby.

"haha, thanks."

"you miss her right?" her face dropped.

"all the time, my dad's visiting her next week."

"so you're not going?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"yeah. alright, let's go shopping." her face expression changed back to a quirky smile.

they took the subway to the nearest mall, looking for clothes.