Chapter 1

Zoe's POV

"Oh my gosh, Pres' would love these!" I exclaim to my best friend, Madelyn as I examine the shoe. I'm a veterinarian at a local pet clinic in Dallas, Texas. If you asked me when I was seventeen if I thought I would be a vet, I would've laughed at you.

"I thought of her when I saw them on clearance at Little Kickers, I knew Presley was obsessed with My Little Pony, so there is an early birthday present." Madelyn says casually petting the rabbit on the examination table. I hug her tightly, "Thanks, Mads." I mumble in her hair.

"No problem, Zo. I really should give credit to my daughter though." Madelyn chuckles. 

"Why?" I ask curiously, placing the shoe back in the box and closing the lid. I place it on the counter for when I go home.

"Well, Liliana saw them and she almost screamed 'Mommy, that's Presley's birthday present, right there!'" Madelyn and I let out a laugh.

"Lily has good ideas." I say taking my stethoscope and placing it to the rabbit's side, looking for a heart beat. I eventually find it and listen for awhile. "Good." I mumble to myself, recording the heart beat on my clipboard.

"This is just a vaccination and check-up, correct?" Madelyn asks me, focusing on filling up at vaccine.

"Mhm." I say, examining the rabbit's ears then eyes. I then record that information and stand up straight.

"Just one needle and then you're good to go iHop!" I say to the rabbit, patting his head softly.

Madelyn walks over and I hold the rabbit still. I look up to her, "Ready?" I ask. She nods her head then injects the rabbit. 

It was quick and then I let the rabbit stand on it's own. I record the information and print out the bill before turning to Madelyn who's placing the rabbit in it's carrier. She takes the bill and information and tapes it to the carrier before placing him in his owner's arms.

Madelyn walks back in the room and closes the door behind her. "Last patient." She breathes.

I laugh and take off my scrubs, brushing my hair out with my fingers, it tumbles down my back and I grab my purse and the shoe box.

"So, what's on your schedule for tonight?" Madelyn asks me, touching up her make-up in her phone camera.

I sit up on the counter, watching her do her make-up. "Taking Presley to dance class then we're  going to see Alana and Jared." I say smiling as she begins her mascara.

"You?" I ask, pulling out my phone and checking my text messages. Of course my mom texts me.

'Need any help with Presley, honey? I'm here!'

"I've got a date with Michael." Madelyn smiles and I smirk. "Ooooh." I tease like we are in fifth grade.

"Where is Lily going?" I ask hopping off the counter and pocketing my phone.

"My mom is watching her." Madelyn replies returning her make up to the bag and placing that in her purse.

"Gotcha. Alright, I should get going. Cya Mads!" I begin to walk out the door and she waves. I check out and step out of the building. Everyday I walk to Presley's daycare then we walk home. It's a ten minute walk all together, and I like the exercise. I guess this brings me back to when I was married to Liam. He abused me and put me down every day for being pregnant with Presley. It wasn't my fault, he raped me.

I would never tell Presley she was an accident. She is a beautiful, smart and clever girl and I could never ask for a better daughter. I'm twenty seven now and things are turning out fine. I have a small, two bedroom apartment that I share with Pres' and we get tons of help from family and friends.