Chapter 7

Evan's POV

It's been about a year since I reunited with the love of my life, Zoe Murphy. She still hasn't agreed to go to her therapy to what I have a feeling is PTSD. She gets way too many nightmares and panic attacks about Liam to be healthy anymore. She keeps pushing to tell me to just forget about it but I can't seem to do so. Presley started kindergarten, her birthday is coming up as well. Blake started first grade and the teachers are saying he's having communication issues, Zoe and I are trying to figure out what to do.

I sit down on a bench, just outside of Presley's dance studio. I've became the dance dad. While Zoe picks Blake up from school and brings him home, it's easier this way because our schedules function better and now Pres' doesn't need to go to daycare because I'm home when Zoe isn't.

I watch as Presley skips into the studio waving to her dance teacher, eventually the five children in sparkly or bright little costumes began to slowly drop into the splits. I'm pretty sure the little girl sitting next to Presley is her friend. Lily? Lila? No, I think it was Liliana. Zoe told me something about her. When the class is dismissed and the children spread out, a few teacher assistants come in to help out the children.

I watch as Presley gives me this huge smile and does a back handspring all by herself. I feel like I could stand up and starting clapping but all these mothers are giving me looks, so I'll save it for the car. That kid has got talent.

Eventually Presley runs out to me. "Daddy! I mean- Evan." She stutters, I smile softly, sometimes I do feel like Presley's dad. I know her real father doesn't care for her, but I don't know how Zoe would feel if I let her call me that.

"Yes, munchkin?" I ask, picking her up and sitting her on my knee. 

Presley held up a piece of paper. "Can you sign this? It's so I can do a solo at a competition!" Presley says excitedly.

"Hmmm." I hum, reading over the form. "Let me call your mom." I say quietly, letting Presley hop of my knee and walking away from the mothers who are still giving me looks.

I quickly click on Zoe's contact in my phone and she picks up almost immediately. 

'Hey babe, what's up? Is Presley okay?' she asks through the phone.

"Yeah, she's fine. She came to me with this form for a dance competition? She wants me to sign it, I don't know if you want me to or not, or if-" I get cut off by Zoe.

'Ev, you can sign it.' She says almost giggling. 'You're her guardian.' Zoe adds.

I smile, and look down at Presley who is now at my side. This little girl has been through so much and now I get to take care of her. It feels like a blessing, I make a promise to myself that I'll never be the cause of Presley's tears.

"Alrighty. You've got Blake?" I ask, leaning against the wall and nodding for Presley to go back into class.

'Yeah, he's playing out in the waiting room, I've got Madelyn watching him, he loves playing with all the animals.' 

"Madelyn is Liliana's mom?" I ask curiously.

'Yep...' Zoe said slowly this time.

"How's work been?" 

'E-Eh-Ev.' Zoe stutters out.

"Zoe? What's wrong?" I ask alarmed, now standing up straight.

I hear a scream and the phone hung up. Immediately I know it can't be good, I run back to Presley's classroom and swing open the door. "I'm taking Presley now." I say quickly, picking her up and swinging her dance bag over my shoulder.