Chapter 01 | Annie

I'm Annie, From Dance Moms

Chapter 01

Date: 9/12/10

"Step, leap, turn! Nice one Annie!" my dance teacher, Ms. Maisie, told me.

I smiled at her.

Ms. Maisie was a round woman, maybe in her late 40s. She had mousy brown hair and chocolate eyes and wore light makeup. She would dress in a sweater in the winter, which I found bizarre, because wouldn't she get hot inside the studio teaching kids?

"Do you want a drink of water?" She asked me. I nodded and got my water bottle. I took a long drink and stood back towards the center of the studio.

I was quieter those days. Shy, I guess. My only friend was Lily, who also danced at the Abby Lee Dance Company. She had Ms. Maisie on Mondays, Ms. Maria on Tuesdays, and Ms. Abby on Thursdays. I had classes with Ms. Maisie everyday. Monday through Friday from 4-7pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 10-4pm. I did acro while Lily took jazz and acro. This particular day was a Sunday.

"Do 5 more aerials and then we can have lunch, okay?" Ms. Maisie said. I nodded and did my aerials.

Ms. Maisie and I sat down in the in the small room connected to the studio while she ate her salad and I ate my crackers and cheese, grapes, and juice box my mom had packed me.

There was suddenly a loud knock on the door. Startled, Ms. Maisie opened it and it was Ms. Abby. I got scared. I was only 5, almost 6, and to be honest, she frightened me. A lot.

Ms. Maisie and Ms. Abby did some hush-talking, obviously something I shouldn't have needed to hear. I'd always thought that when Abby tried to talk softly, her voice sounded like a dying chipmunk. Don't tell anyone I said that. Shhh.

When they were done Abby left the room and Ms. Maisie came in, a big smile on her face. "Guess what?"

"What?" I asked.

"You might be on TV!"

I stared at her. "What?"

She grinned. "I said, you might be on TV! The producers agreed to film Abby's show!"

"What's the show about?" I asked.

Ms. Maisie laughed. "Oh, you silly goose! Abby wanted to make a show called Dance Moms. On the show, she wanted to have about 6-7 dancers from the ALDC and their moms on a reality TV show. That's what it's about. Abby wants all the teachers to have their kids audition and bring their moms to the audition, too. Younger siblings as well."

I immediately thought about my baby sister Hayley. She had just turned two.

"Here's the flyer," said Ms. Maisie, handing me a green paper. It looked like this:

CALLING ALL ALDC DANCERS!!!

Is your kid HARDWORKING? DETERMINED? Would they drop EVERYTHING FOR DANCE? If so, have them audition for Abby Lee Miller's new show: DANCE MOMS!

This reality show follows the lives of young dancers and their moms.

AUDITIONS

WHO? You, your dance child, and their younger siblings!**

WHAT? Show their dance skills!

WHEN? Auditions held Sunday 9/19/10

WHERE? Abby Lee Dance Company, Abby's studio

WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

Sign up here:

www.abbyleedancecompany.com/dmauditions

**young children shown on TV for general audience entertainment. Only kids from the ALDC are permitted to audition unless otherwise noted.

"Take this home and show it to your mom. But now, let's work on those leaps. Your leg is getting a little bent. Could be because you didn't take summer classes."

"Okay," I said, a little bit embarrassed. My parents had said dance was getting more and more expensive so they didn't have me do it during the summer.

I danced and got drinks until it was time to go. Daddy was waiting for me at the front desk.

"Hi Daddy," I said.

"Hi, how was class?" He asked me.

"Good," I replied. "Can we go to McDonald's?"

Daddy laughed. "Sure," he said.

"Bye, Ms. Abby!" I said, trying to sound cheerful and carefree.

"Bye now, dear," she replied.

I decided not to tell Daddy about Dance Moms because he's not a dance mom, he's a dance dad. If that's a thing.

Daddy pulled up to the drive-thru. "Hello how may I help you?" said the lady over the speaker.

"Good afternoon, could I have 3 chicken nuggets and fries happy meals?" said Daddy.

"Yep, okay, anything else?"

"No, thank you."

"Why 3?"

"One for Hayley and Caleb, too," he said, grinning.

I smiled a little bit.

On the drive home Daddy asked me, "Anything exciting that went on today?"

I shook my head.

When we got home Caleb and I went straight for the toys. Hayley, too.

They were Shrek themed! I got Fiona, Caleb got Shrek, and Hayley got Pinocchio.

After we ate our happy meals Caleb and Daddy went outside to play baseball while Hayley took a nap. Mommy was watching TV.

I went up to her and showed her the green flyer. She read and and gasped.

"This is such an amazing opportunity, Anna Grace!" She exclaimed.

"But would you wanna be on TV with me?" I asked, still hesitant.

"Of course! Anything for my dance daughter." She smiled and I did too. That's when I knew I wanted to do this.

"Okay," I said.

Mommy got super excited and signed up right away. We were all ready to bring my headshot, me, Mommy, and Hayley to the audition.

While my parents ate dinner Mommy told Daddy about it. He wished us luck.

Later, before I went to bed I read Llama Llama books and I wished upon a shooting star.

I wish Mommy and I will do good at our audition so I'll make her happy.

I opened my eyes.