Chapter 8

Bucky watched as Steve stood up on the platform, the case containing the infinity stones in one hand with Mjolnir in the other. Bucky's heart was pounding in his chest at the thought that he would never see his Steve again. Bucky knew that Steve was going to stay in the past and live the life he had always wanted with Peggy. Bucky's feelings didn't matter because Steve would get his happily ever after. Bruce fired up the time machine and Steve disappeared.

"How long will it take until he is back?" Sam asked, Bucky silently wished that he had Sam ignorance towards Steve's true intent.

"It can be hours for him, but it will be about 5 seconds for us" Bruce answered. It felt like years had passed as Bruce counted down from five.

"Bringing him back now" Bruce said but Steve didn't appear just as Bucky predicted, Steve decided to stay with Peggy. Bucky looked down at the floor as Sam and Bruce started panicking. He didn't want them to watch as his heart shattered into pieces. Bucky slowly turned around expected to see an older version of Steve sitting on the bench waiting for them however, it was empty. Bucky started to internally panic. Steve should be here. He had to be.

Bucky's internal turmoil was halted at the sound of an engine, Sam and Bruce seemed to here the noise as well because they stopped messing around with the quantum machine and looked upwards where a large ship hovered above the lake. The noise caught the attention of those in the cabin because they start to slowly pour out. The ship landed in front of them and Bucky saw a panicked look appear on Nebula's face. She immediately pulled her weapons out preparing to fight. Bucky, Sam and Bruce walked over to the others, their eyes were trained on the ship. No one knew what to expect.

The ship door opened, and a ramp descended. A figure appeared at the entrance of the door.

"Steve" Bucky muttered as Steve started descending from the ship. Bucky couldn't believe what he saw. Steve's blonde hair was shoulder-length, his normal blue eyes were brown. Steve wore a long-sleeved black sweatshirt with combat trousers and boots.

"Sorry I'm late. I had to take the long way around" Steve said once he reached the others. His eyes were trained on his Bucky. He was finally home.

"How did you commandeer Normad's ship. He would never allow someone to use it" Nebula demanded before anyone could question what Steve had said.

"That's a really long story but to be quick about it. I am the Normad" Steve answered. Bucky saw the Guardians take a step back, a shocked and scared look appeared on their faces. Bucky wanted to question it but all he could focus on was his Stevie came back to him. He was older that was obvious but still he came back to him. Bucky couldn't force himself to stay where he was any longer. He ran over to Steve wrapping the other man up in his arms.

"I thought I lost you" Bucky whispered into Steve's ear.

"You could never lose me Bucky. I am with you until the end of the line. I will never leave you again" Steve whispered back.

"You better you punk. Look at you, you look so different. Not that I'm not digging the long hair but what happened to your eyes" Bucky asked, Steve smiled before pressing a light kiss to Bucky's forehead.

"That's apart of the long story as well" Steve answered before stepping back a little to face the others, his arm kept secure around Bucky's waist. Steve scanned his surroundings, a frown appeared on his face when he noticed something was missing.

"Oi, are you coming out or are you staying hidden" Steve shouted back up to his ship which confused everyone. Steve was the only person missing, they weren't expecting anyone else.

"Sorry, we didn't want to ruin your moment" a familiar female voice said. Natasha and Vision appeared at the entrance of the ship before making their way down.

"Nat" "Vis" Clint and Wanda shouted simultaneously before running over to them.

"How" Bruce whispered shocked before looking over at Steve for an explanation.

"I have had plenty of time to think about what I needed to do before returning and I knew I had to bring back at least some of the ones who deserved saving. Vision was destroyed for the mind stone and Nat died for the Soul stone. I had to rectify some of those mistakes. I got Vision's body after the snap happened and I bargained for Natasha to be returned with the Red Skull which was an interesting conversation. I took Vision to an experienced android technician to get him revived, they used to stone to bring Vision back. However, Shuri would you be able to look over to make sure Vision is alright, the technician never worked with vibranium before because it doesn't really exist in space" Steve explained.

"Of course" Shuri agreed.

"How did you get the mind stone?" Wanda questioned.

"That's a part of the long story I mention earlier" Steve answered.

"Well you better get started" Natasha teased, only Vision and Nat truly knew the extent of what Steve had been through the last 45 years.

"We better go inside. It's a 45-year worth story. I'll cut it down to the important parts though" Steve answered before moving towards the cabin with Bucky still by his side.

"45 years?" Bucky questioned.

"Yeah, that's how long I have been gone for" Steve answered.