No more Kansas

"Come on, Sammy, please take it." Colby tried to persuade his friend.

"No." Sam pouts.

It's been three weeks since the. . . Nightmare, and Sam has been very depressed. The first week, it was nothing too bad just sleeping in late, but then he started to not eat. Colby decided halfway through week two that he was going to get Sam on some antidepressants. The older man took them for a few days, but decided feeling like he was high was not for him.

"I swear. . ." Colby mumbles.

"I'm just trying to help you!" Colby finally snaps.

"I didn't ask for it." Sam quietly answers, not noticing the tears in his best friends face.

"Have you noticed Ruby hasn't been around? Do you think it's because I couldn't. . . S-Save h-her?" Sam adds, now being the one who has tears in his eyes.

Colby's face softened as he looked at his broken friend, "Sam, it was a dream. There was nothing you could do about it, I promise you that. Ruby is a small girl, she probably just hasn't had enough energy."

Sam nods his head in agreement, "I guess you're right."

Colby chuckles while he wipes the stray tears on Sam's face away, "Now, will you take your pill, please?"

Colby grins when the blonde picks up the pill and takes it. The two best friends walk to the living room to join the others.
•••
"Please, I'm sorry. I'm begging you, show yourself." Sam whimpers.

Sam is trying to get Ruby to show herself so he can talk about what happened, but she isn't listening. Blue eyes look around the room for anything, anything at all, but nothing sticks out to him. Just before he is about to give up, his closet door opens again.

With a smile on his face Sam starts to speak, "Come on out, Sweetie."

Instead of being greeted by a beautiful little girl, he hears a deep grunt come from the open door.

"Well, you're not Ruby." Sam says, terror in his voice.

Sam makes his way out of the room, but he swears he hears the same little cries he heard from that back room. Turning on his heel instantly, Sam is faced with a slammed door. The usually brave man crouches at the door, banging on it. The cries and screams is what brings the roommates to Sam's door.

Colby looks at the others to see if they are going to do anything, but find they are giving him the same look. Colby makes his way over to his best friend, slowly.

"Sam?" He screams over the older mans cries.

When talking to him doesn't work, Colby grabs Sam by the shoulder; scaring the blonde.

"He's hurting her, Colby! He's, h-he's. . ." Sam sobs into his friends shirt, the cries alone made the roommates tear up. They were cries of heartbreak.

"I couldn't get to her." Sam mumbles, still crying.

Colby comforts his friend, rocking him back and forth. Devyn must have let Kat in, because she came running up to the two men on the floor. Not even asking what's wrong, the young girl takes Sam into her arms. Both Colby and Kat hold Sam until he finally stops crying and is only breathing heavy.

Not having any energy left, Sam passes out on the two people he loves. Colby takes the older man into his arms, deciding that he wouldn't want to be in his own room, he takes him to his room.

"Both of you can have the bed, I'll take the couch." Colby whispers to Kat.

Kat gives him a grateful look before crawling into her friend's bed and holds her boyfriend close.
•••
Sam shoots up in the bed he is in, and breathes deeply. He didn't think it was possible to have panic attacks so bad that you have them in your dreams. Both Colby and Kat jumps up when they here Sam, both making sure he's okay.

"Why am I in here?" Sam asks, still sleepy.

"I didn't think you would want to stay in your room after what happened." Colby explains, giving the man in front of him a small smiles.

Sam gives one in return, but instantly gets up and rushes to his room. The other follow the man, but stop when they crash into him.

When Sam opened him door he notices a passed out little girl on the floor. Being shocked for only a few seconds, he rushes toward the girl, both Colby and Kat following. When he gets closer he notices it's Ruby.

"Ruby! Hey, come on wake up." Sam whispers, brushing the hair out of the girls face.

     Piercing green eyes open, shock and fear in them. The girl instantly holds onto Sam's hand, scared the mean spirit will come back.

"What happened?" Colby asks, concern in his voice.

"H-He trapped me in here." Ruby whimpers.

"The man who killed you?" Kat asks.

"N-No, it didn't even look like a person. It had red eyes."

Sam's blood runs cold as he remembers the bright red eyes that were mocking him the other night. Fear grows in the pit of Sam's stomach as he looks at Colby.

"Midnight Man." Was all Sam said before he passed out from shock.
•••
Sam wakes up for the second time that day, curious as to where he is. By looking around, he sees he's in his own room.

The man isn't sure why he feels such a strong feeling to run, but it sort of scares him. Blue eyes instantly move toward the closet, he watches as the door opens only an inch. Paralyzed with fear, Sam watches at the door slowly opens more and more; he is relieved when Ruby appears next to him.

"Gosh! You scared me, kid." Sam says clutching his still rapidly beating heart.

A mischievous smile appears on Ruby's face as she disappears from Sam's room. The blond is about to call for his young friend when he hears a girlish scream come from Colby's room. Sam almost laughs out loud when he hears Colby scream, "Ruby!"

A soaking wet Colby comes storming into Sam's room, a frown on his usually smirking face.

"What the crap, man? Did you tell her to do that?" Colby asks, wiping drops of water off his face.

"Did she scare you in the shower?" Sam giggles out.

"Yeah! Brat had the audacity to interrupt my deep conditioning session. And then, she just disappeared! Like nothing just happened." The brown haired man pouts at his friend.

This time, Sam couldn't hold in his laughter anymore. The blond is bent over dying with laughter at the situation. All the laughter bringing in Corey and Jake, and when they find out, they do the same thing as Sam. Colby, not amused with his friends laughter, hits Sam with a pillow; this starting a pillow fight between the four friends.
•••
"I'm telling you guys! I won that fight." Corey says while the four men make their way out of Sam's room.

Sweaty and tired from all the fighting, Sam tiredly smiles at his friend "whatever helps you sleep at night." The man laughs out.

Sam starts to make his way down the stairs when he stops in his tracks. The other three are about to protest when they spot what their friend has saw. Two bright red eyes are glaring at them from the bottom of the dark stairs. No one being able to talk, the 'Midnight Man' lets out a deep chuckle, it not even sounding human more animal like. With a simple flash, the four men are being pulled into swirling hole not being able to see anything but the little light ahead.
•••
Jake shakes his head when he wakes up, hoping the action will take some of the pain from his head away, but it doesn't work. The man notices that he's laying on a sleeping Colby and Corey, Sam on the other side of Corey. When he is just about to wake them, the other three friends wake themselves up.

The four men look at each other confused, and stand up. With a simple look around, they instantly notice they aren't in the house anymore; they are in a place that looks dark and depressing. Jake moves closer to his friend, hoping to find comfort in the familiar touch of his friends.

"Boys, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." Jake sarcastically says, confusion on his and everyone else's face.

Sam turns toward his friends quickly and starts to speak; terror in his voice, "Where the hell are we?"