Fear of the unknown

"Webber, leave them alone! You're scaring them." Cole yells from the front of the Jeep that they're in.

That morning Cole woke them up bright and early, yelling at them to get their stuff together so they can leave. Groggily, they all made their way to the Jeep that they are currently in.

     Since there are seven of the men, Jake and Sam are sitting in the floor below Colby and Scherer.

     The group were in the Jeep for a total of 30 seconds before Scherer and Webber started to tell them things about the world that they ended up not wanting to know.

     Ignoring the glare that Cole is giving him, Webber keeps on with the story that he was telling, "You're in the world of the dead."

     The boys look at the smirking man, shock on their face. Sam starts to question Cole frantically.

"Listen, this is technically 'the world of the dead' but it's mainly just an alternative reality to your world. The main difference is the king." Cole replies, a sigh making its way out of his frowning mouth.

"King. . . ?" Jake asks from his spot in front of Scherer.

"Yeah, he's what you would call 'a demon'. He's very powerful, and very wise. That's why we're heading this way, because if your friend is anywhere in this world, he will know." Cole explains from the drivers seat.

"Do you mean you think he's the one who took her?" Corey asks from the passenger seat, looking like he doesn't want to be there.

"Well, that depends. The King doesn't do stuff like that unless you messed with the spirit world, or something like that.So, we're most likely just looking for information." Cole says, annoyed at all the questions.

     Colby looks at Sam with a knowing look, as if to say, 'you thinking what I'm thinking?'

"What's his name?" Sam hesitantly asks.

"Travelers call him Shadow." Cole replies.

Relief floods over Sam and Colby. Knowing that it's not anything that Sam summoned is good news.

"Guys, to get to the king's palace you have to go through Red Wood Forest. This forest will show you your deepest, darkest fears. That is where we split up" Cole adds.

"Split up?" Corey almost yells.

"Scherer, Webber, and I will leave you guys at the forest. We decided that we don't want any of you knowing our fears, so we are taking another path through the forest." Cole explains.

"Don't worry, we'll meet you at the palace." Cole adds quickly.

"B-But you cant just l-leave us!" Corey stutters out.

"We can, and we will." Was Cole's simple answer.

     The rest of the drive was quiet, and almost hostile. Being as stubborn as they come, Sam proceeded to glare at Cole from his spot on Colby's feet, which caused the other men to feel uncomfortable. Either the other man didn't notice or he simply didn't care, because he never looked back at the glaring blue eyes.

•••

The forest is dark, and almost feels as if it's alive as the group of four scared men make their way into the woods in front of them. Sticking together, the men take hesitant steps forward.

"W-When do you think the fears will start to show up?" Corey asks, stuttering from fear.

"I don't know, man, but we need to be ready for anything." Sam explains, looking around frantically.