Friendship and Heartbreak

Cole lets out a ragged breathe as he takes in his surroundings. Cole and the other two men have been walking for thirty minutes now, and they haven't seen anything yet.

     Frowning, Colby looks up to the other two soldiers that are walking at a steady pace ahead of him. The man tries to figure out who could possibly be the first person to see their fear, Cole only hopes it's not his, he's not ready for that kind of torture just yet.

•••
"Colbs, keep up! You're lagging behind." Sam yells over his shoulder.

     Blue eyes shoot up from their place on the ground, trying to locate where his best friend is. He notices a head full of blond hair at the very front of the line they have formed.

'How did I get all the way back here?' Colby thinks to himself.

     Pushing the thought to the back of his head, Colby starts to worry about his fear. Of course, the man knows what his fear is, but he's confused how it's going to show itself.

     Colby is shocked when he suddenly runs into Jake's back. When he is about to say something to the younger man in front of him, he hears Sam yell for him from the front of the line. Making his way to his friend, Colby notices the pale look on Sam's face.

     Sam looks at Colby with tears in his eyes, "This, is your fear? Really?"

     Vomit makes its way up the young man's throat when he sees what's in front of him. Only a few feet away, a crying Colby is curled up on the ground, an angry Sam above him. After looking closer, Colby can see a black eye forming on his left eye.

"You really thought this would last forever? That it would be me and you forever? You were wrong. I hate you, you disgust me, Colby." The angry Sam hits the crying Colby again.

"Please. . . Don't leave me. I need you, please." Colby begs, but it's too late, the angry Sam has already disappeared.

     The three friends watch as Colby falls to his knees, tears and sobs making their way out as the other Colby disappears. Jake and Corey back away as Sam wraps his arms around Colby.

"I will never leave you, I promise." Sam whispers.

"N-No! Y-You're going to l-leave." Colby sobs out.

"I promise I won't. You and me forever, man." Sam reassures Colby.

"And I can assure you I will never lay a hand on you." Sam adds, tears welling up in his eyes.

"I trust you." Colby finally says after a long pause.

The two men stand up and are instantly greeted by two other pairs of arms going around the both of them.

"We're never leaving neither, Colbs." Jake says while Corey nods in agreement.

•••
Webber watches as Scherer tries to figure out which direction they should go in. The younger man rolls his eyes at the older man as he starts to go the wrong way.

"Wrong way, Scherer." Webber's cocky voice stats.

The bigger man of the two rolls his eyes as he starts to go the right way. Webber's heart sinks a little deeper when the man glares at him. The other man can't help but remember how things were when Sam was alive. Well, first off they actually called each other by their first names and were actually really good friends. Now, after Sam's death, they treat each other like soldiers, or partners in an assignment. They don't talk like they used to, or have the occasional dinner together. No, they only see each other at work. The younger man can't help but think that this journey they're on might just change their relationship.