9- I'm Not Afraid

Astrea

My shoulder burns as I slip into the darkness, it being the only thing that assures me I'm still alive...that, and the sparks I feel on my skin.

Thane...

I can't really hear anything through the pounding in my head, and the ringing in my ears. But I can almost hear him calling for me as he holds me to his warm chest, and carefully tends to my wound...

After that, I don't remember much else...for I drift down into the darkest part of my mind. Another onslaught of painful memories flood my thoughts, bringing back all the grief, fear, and crushing loneliness I've done nothing but try to suppress for all these years.

As I once again find myself being left alone once again, I can't stop myself from crying out to the figure retreating from my memories.

"Please...please don't leave me..." I whimper, heartache tearing a hole through my chest.

"It's okay Snowdrop, it's okay...I'm right here." I hear Thanes voice murmur, feeling his warmth as he presses his forehead to mine gently.

"Don't leave me...don't..." I cry out against better judgement, grabbing on tightly to his shirt, and I feel him lift me up, now I can hear his steady heartbeat thumping against my ear, no doubt I'm pressed to his chest.

"Never, I'll never leave your side Snowdrop. I promise." He whispers in my ear, and it's the last thing I hear before I finally I go completely unconscious.

~~~~~

After I don't know how long, the dark veil between my mind and the world around me finally begins to pull away, and I groan as I fight my heavy eyelids so I can open them. Once I finally win, I blink slowly against the dim light in the room...the curtains are pulled to on the large windows my head is facing, leaving only a sliver of early morning sunlight creeping through. The only other source of light is from a glowing blue clock on a counter in front of me, 5:47 am glowing in the otherwise dark room...

Wait....where exactly am I?

I quickly take a thorough inventory of my surroundings, at least, as thorough as I can with my sluggish brain. Seriously, I feel almost drunk...the last time I felt like this was when I was doped up on pain medication-

Crap. I'm in a hospital.

I remember being shot...the pain ripping through my shoulder, and Thanes horrified expression...

Thane...where is he? Not to mention Nes. But I can smell Thane has been in here, his scent practically saturates the room, and even with my grogginess I can tell he's been in here really recently if he's not here right no-

My eyes widen as I feel something move against my right side, and I slowly turn my head to see Thane next to me, lying halfway onto the bed with his head resting on my stomach...snoring softly as he nuzzles against me.

I can only stare at his wild hair in shock, my heart racing...which the monitor I'm hooked up to picks up on, making it beep faster.

How long has he been here? Wait, how long have I been here?

Trying to settle myself back down, I turn my gaze away and try to pretend he isn't here...focusing on anything else in the room. My eyes flicker over the room, the couch in front of the window, the pictures on the wall, Thane's clothes lying over a bag in a chair...