11- Trust

Unknown

"I have some news for you." I say into the phone, my eyes darting around nervously.

"This better be good, I've told you not to call me unless it's important." The answering voice snaps irritably.

"It is, I have an update on the location of the rogue agents and Thane Auberon."

"Make it quick, I can't risk someone overhearing this."

"All three are in the Sliverclaw territory. Astrea is in recovery from a bullet wound and silver poisoning." I say quietly, not wanting to be overheard either.

"Good. I'll handle this, don't contact me again unless it's important."

"Wait, there's more."

"What?"

"Thane and Astrea are mates, and she has marked him."

A string of curses follows my words, and I can't help but feel like I've kicked the hornets nest.

"Well, this both simplifies and complicates things. Is that all?"

"Yes."

"Fine, heed what I said, and don't get caught."

I sigh in relief as they hang up the phone, my hands shaking violently. I never wanted to make a deal with this devil, but I don't have any other choice if I want to keep what's mine.

Besides...it's too late to back out now. Far too late.

Thane

She's so beautiful...

I gently play with Astrea's hair as she sleeps, her soft, cool breaths fanning over my face as I trace my eyes over her sleeping face. It's nice to see her relaxed, to see her resting soundly...she's usually so on edge and focused.

Her eyelids flicker with movement as she dreams, her mouth twitching as it parts a little wider. I want to know more than anything what she's dreaming about, but I don't want to invade her privacy...she's already having difficulties with our mind link, I don't want to intrude on the only privacy she has anymore.

But I can still feel flickers of her emotions.

Right now her dreams are pleasant, happy...the corner of her mouth twitching up in a smile. I would give anything to see her smile, I don't think I've seen her smile in the time I've known her...not even once.

~I bet her smile is stunning enough to give an angel a run for their money.~ Kion rumbles, and I chuckle.

~Did I just hear you say something sappy? That's a new one.~

~Don't start with me boy, you were thinking it too.~

~Touché.~

Suddenly, Astrea isn't so content, her emotions now fearful and hurting. Her lips trembling as a few tears slip out of her eyes, a soft whimper slips out of her mouth that breaks my heart.

"No...no...don't leave me..." She whimpers, just like she did when she was shot. I immediately cup her cheeks in my hands, a little terrified at how her body is shaking beneath me.

"Snowdrop? Snowdrop wake up! Snowdrop!" I say in a fierce whisper, pressing my forehead to hers as her tears continue to fall.

"Astrea, wake up!" I say a little louder, and she opens her eyes with a startled gasp, panting as her gaze comes to focus on me. She still shaking as she stares into my eyes, the tears streaming out silently onto my hands.