°• F I V E •°

•••
I dedicate this chapter to Holy_Lucidcake_ for being an awesome friend and person!
•••

Lucy sighed, letting herself submerge in the hot bath. The simple action relaxed her greatly and she felt at ease, something that she hadn't felt in a long time.

She smiled a little in contentment, letting her head rest against the smooth tub. Moments like these, small moments of contentment and happiness were what kept her going.

Of course, it could also be because of what happened that evening.

Wandering through the streets of Roosevelt had never failed to charm her. The faint fairy lights on the streets and the bustling crowd from the festival was a nice change of pace. Sure she didn't like crowds much but the festival was a whole different story.

The sun had set completely now, the only source of light being the street lamps and a few twinkling stars. This time of the evening was Lucy's favourite.

She stopped, finding him sitting on a park bench, facing the sky, deep in thought.

"Natsu?"

He glanced sideways to her, taking her presence in.

"Oh!" He exclaimed. "It's just you."

"Don't you wanna go back? They're all searching for you."

"Nah..here's fine. Besides I've been having a splitting headache. Outside is refreshing."

"Oh."

It was because of her, she knew it. She had to leave, just like last time. Only then will the pain go away.

Even if it breaks her heart.

"Well then! I just wanted to tell you that your team has decided to stay the night in the café. I'll tell them that you know so they'll stop searching."

She then turned around to move back when he grabbed her wrist, stopping her dead in her tracks.

"Stay." He said. "Your presence is somehow..comforting.."

A light pink tint covered her face and she relaxed, turning to look at him.

"C-Comforting?"

He nodded, moving a bit to make space for her. She stood still for a while, before timidly taking a seat next to him.

"You don't have to be so cautious y'know? I know I was kind of a jerk back then, but I didn't mean to hurt you, I promise."

Lucy relaxed, smiling. "I know. I understand."

He smiled too, looking at her. Lucy noticed how much he had changed during those three years. He looked more mature and strong, and she dare say, even more attractive.

"I don't know if it'll do but, here.."

He extended his hand, a small, wrapped object in it. It was a present!

"Happy Birthday!"

"Y-You didn't have to-"

"Open it!"

His smile, oh god, his smile. The blush showed no signs of going away, so she timidly took it, unwrapping the gift. Her eyes widened, and a few tears threatened to fall out.

It was a key holder!

"A Key holder.."

"Yeah.." he chuckled nervously rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't know if it'll be of any use to you-"

"I love it!"

Seeing her look at his gift in pure admiration, Natsu couldn't help the subtle blush growing on his face. He looked away in a hurry, scared of what he was feeling. However, despite all of this, he didn't want her to go, her presence being important to him somehow.

"There is a funny story behind it actually."

"Really?"

"Yeah.." he laughed. "About a couple of years ago, around this time only, Erza dragged my cranky self to help her out with some shopping. I didn't care much, but this caught my eye. I didn't even know what I was thinking, but I just bought it. Like I had to give it to someone important. But I couldn't remember who..or why.. "

"Then why give it to me?"

He looked at her, smiling. "I don't know.. It just feels..right ..like it was for you from the start."

A few tears collected at the corner of her eyes, and Lucy looked straight ahead, wiping them off.

"Oh no! Did-Did I say something wrong? I-"

She giggled, making him stop panicking. "No.. Its just.. You reminded me of someone very close to me.."

Natsu relaxed, looking at her. "You remind me of someone too..someone important..but I don't know who.. It might sound weird but..when I came to know that today was your birthday, I felt oddly relieved, like I finally found out what was special about today. That urge was gone and it felt...complete.."

Silence surrounded them, but it wasn't the awkward kind. Lucy could barely believe it all. Her presence still lingered on in his heart and mind, her absence was still noticeable. Maybe..maybe there was a sliver of chance to rewrite her fate after all..maybe there was still hope after all..

Natsu suddenly clutched his head, groaning slightly.

"Damn! My head is killing me! Tsk.."

Oh who was she kidding? There was none. There never will be.

"I-I should get going now.."

"No wait! At least a little while longer!"

"No.." Lucy gave a pained smile. "It's getting late too.."

She got up, starting to walk away, when once more she felt him take her hand and walk beside her.

"I'll come too.."

She stared at their intertwined fingers and then looked back up to see a blushing Natsu.

"I-It's crowded. Its an added precaution so you won't get lost.."

Lucy giggled, which made him blush even more. "Really? I know my way around here so the only person who might get lost will be you Natsu!"

She opened her eyes, returning back to the present. The water had turned cold now, no more providing the warmth that it did. She got out of the tub, wrapping a towel around her and walked out into her room.

Only to come face to face with someone.

•••
Oof another chapter. Guess who's having a rush of inspiration? XD Ik it's shorter than the usual but it was either this or a long ass one.

So how are you liking it so far? Is it correctly paced? Also, you can check out my other fanfic : Beholden which is also nalu and complete!

Please, please, please vote, comment and share this story! It makes my day

Until then
Belle🌸
🔥❤️🔑

PS that was the song I was listening to while writing. Lol and I found an amv for that too XD