°• T W E N T Y - T H R E E •°

•••

Natsu.

Natsu, Natsu, Natsu.

It was him. He was here.

For her.

But why?

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

She didn't deserve it. His presence. His worry. Him.

Not after what she'd done.

She had failed her friends.

She had hurt them.

She had hurt him.

However, no matter how much she questioned it, how much she claimed and tried to convince herself that she didn't want it, nothing changed the fact that he was here, right next to her.

Protecting her.

"Natsu.." Lucy's voice shook, while tears welled up in her eyes. Her voice came out in less than a whisper, barely audible, but she couldn't care less. All that mattered in that moment was him. And he was here.

But..what if it was all just an illusion? What if it was her mind playing tricks on her? Cruel tricks.

What if-

She never got to finish that thought. Never got to think over that 'what if', for, in an instant, she was embraced with warmth. His warmth.

How long had it been since she'd been hugged like that? Since he'd hugged her like that?

It felt so safe. So warm.

So intoxicating.

All of the dark thoughts disappeared, all doubts gone, leaving behind nothing but certainty.

Certainty of his presence. Of his embrace. Him.

"Lucy.." his low voice whispering in her ear broke her out of her reverie, pulling her back into the harsh, cold reality. The reality of bring trapped in a decrepit dungeon.

Natsu slowly let go, caressing her face. She knew she shouldn't, and that it was wrong, extremely wrong, but she couldn't help and lean into his touch. As his fingers gently grazed her cheeks and her bruises, Lucy unwillingly closed her eyes, taking all of that moment in. Taking all of him in.

Oh how much she missed him.

"Does it hurt?"

She opened her eyes with a start to find him staring intently at her, and in that moment, nothing surprised her more than the look in his eyes.

He was looking at her like he did before.

With love. With adoration.

With that certain twinkle.

"His eyes twinkle a certain way when he sees me?" Lucy repeated, sipping her vanilla milkshake. "Stop pulling my leg Mira."

"But it's true~" Mira sang, winking mischievously to a thoroughly unamused Lucy.

"No it's not." the celestial mage sighed, tucking a stray strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. "This is Natsu we're talking about. Anything like that concerning him is just a load of crap."