iv. the defiance

A M O R A

"No."

Amora heaved a sigh, running her hand through her hair. She had been staring at the same tree trunk all afternoon, marking it with runes.

Skuld stepped up beside her, her arms crossed, and regarded Amora's attempt at a fortune rune.

"If you think I'm going to let you touch Yggdrasil when you barely know any runes, you're mistaken." Skuld motioned a hand over to her sister. "Verdandi has seen children in Nornheim that know more runes than you."

"Karnilla never considered it a priority," Amora murmured.

"Well, she was always an overly ambitious fool," Skuld said, "Preferring to manipulate men more than fate."

The Norn leaned in closer to inspect Amora's carving. "Debt serves to balance fate, bring some semblance of peace to our chaotic universe. At this point, you'd be causing more chaos if you touched Yggdrasil."

Skuld took a step back. "Try again."

Amora bit her lip as she raised her hand to the tree. She could feel Skuld's dark eyes piercing into her. Glancing over at her failed attempt, Amora tried again. She made one line longer and another more curved.

Skuld gave a low hum of approval behind her. "Better."

The sorceress beamed, but a thought made her eyebrows twitch downward as she turned to face the Norn.

"The Celestials chose you to make bring reason to the universe, to fix the chaos," she said, "But there is still chaos now."

Skuld folded her hands behind her back. "The universe is large and it's inner workings vast. While we are powerful, our work is still at the mercy of those who act on it. People can defy fate."

A small smile formed in Skuld's face. "But a time will come when it is set right, when someone can give the universe what it needs."

"Who will it be?" Amora breathed.

Skuld looked her up and down. "I cannot tell you."

It was no direct answer, but something inside Amora swelled, making her stand taller. Maybe this was why she was here, why the Norns had been waiting on her.

"Skuld," Verdandi called with a smirk, "Would you like an update on your favorite person?"

Skuld perked, her eyes widening. "Is he finally dead?"

"Nope. He sits on a throne now."

Skuld let out a heavy groan. It was the loudest thing Amora had heard come out of the Norn witch. "Are you kidding me?"

"I'm afraid not," Urd said, holding up a darkening string, "It's starting to gray, but I'm still weaving his fate."

"What is it?" Amora asked, looking back and forth between the sisters.

Skuld pointed at the Yggdrasil tree. "I've had him marked for death for years now. Not fortune. Death."

"And yet he's managed to evade it every time," Verdandi mused.

"That trickster," Skuld muttered, shaking her head.

Amora watched Urd as she weaved the gray string in with the others. She reached her hand out hesitantly. How could someone defy fate?

Urd stopped her weaving, watching her with careful eyes, but Amora gave no notice. As her hand inched closer to the graying strand, it brushed against the others.