xiii. the gift

A M O R A

"Open the doors, and let us pass."

At Amora's words, the guards opened the doors immediately, their gazes distant. Proxima and Corvus eyed them as they passed, their hands on their weapons.

Amora threw up an invisibility spell over them once they were inside. Following a few winding, white halls led the three to an open corridor teeming with Nova Corps officers.

"We know the Stone is on one of the lower levels," Proxima spoke, "but the signal isn't clear enough to know which one."

Corvus started scanning the room, adjusting his grip on his weapon. "Looks like we'll have ask someone."

Amora held up a hand. "I can get someone to tell us."

Proxima regarded her for a moment before nodding, her dark eyes moving across the room before stopping. "Him. We'll grab him."

The Nova officer was walking away from the three, just about to round the corner into a smaller hall.

Corvus and Proxima started moving, stalking the man like animals. Amora hesitated before sighing and following.

As soon as the officer left the main corridor, Corvus and Proxima grabbed him and dragged him into an empty room just off of the hallway. They whirled him around and slammed him back into the wall, a blade held to his throat.

Amora's eyes widened. "Huginn?"

The Asgardian spy's jaw clenched, and he opened his mouth to speak, but Proxima pressed her blade closer to his throat.

"You know him?" she spat, eyes narrowed and teeth bared.

Amora faltered. "Uh...yes."

Corvus leaned into the spy's face. "How did you know we were here?"

Huginn's brow ticked up. "I'm a Raven. It's my job to know things." He looked to Amora and frowned, his expression appeared confused and almost sad. "But I didn't expect you to be here, Amora. What are you doing?"

Oh. Amora mind raced to catch up to Huginn's act. She tried to put as much pleading into her voice as possible. "You have to understand, Huginn. Thanos will destroy Asgard if I don't do this for him."

"We don't have time for a debate," Proxima said, easing her grip on the blade at Huginn's throat, "Why are you here?"

"Well, I infiltrated this facility with the intentions of stopping you." Huginn shrugged as best he could against Corvus's hold. "But you can see how that's going."

"We should just kill him," Corvus said, "He's a threat to our mission."

"Wait!" Amora's voice strained as she stepped closer, holding out a hand. "He might know something valuable. He said it himself, it's his job."

Corvus huffed, but he relented.

Amora relaxed and looked to Huginn. She hated this, but the man was going to die if she didn't try something. "Do you know where the Power Stone is?"

She could practically see the spy's mind running. He remained silent, pressing his lips together. His eyes bore into hers until the blade at his throat pressed in just enough to break the skin.

"Alright." He sighed, looking down and giving the barest shake of his head. "It's on the fourth level down."

Amora glanced at Proxima, and the warrior cocked an eyebrow at her before nodding her head toward the man. "Check him."