xiv. the call

A M O R A

The ramp shut with a thud, and the ship shuddered as the engines came to life, leaving what was left of Xandar behind.

Amora hunched forward and her shoulders started to tremble, but the Black Order ignored her. Her eyes screwed shut, and her chest heaved with a sob.

She had failed.

She had failed Xandar.

And now they were all dead.

Oh Norns, she thought, Huginn.

Amora prayed that the spy had made it off of the planet, but her hope was dwindling.

She felt the power of the Reality Stone well up, calling for release, but she pushed it away, deeper into the pocket dimension where she kept it safe.

A heavy set of footsteps approached Amora, stopping before her hunched figure.

"You have done well," Thanos spoke, "Rest assured that your homeworld is protected."

Amora looked up and glowered at him. "No one had to die."

Thanos seemed to consider her words for a moment. "Perhaps. But they would have delayed my mission, and I have already waited long enough."

"You had no reason—no right—to kill them," she seethed, "You're not a god."

"And you are?"

"None of us are."

Thanos sighed and stooped down, offering his hand. Amora gave it the barest glance before standing to her feet on her own.

He only smiled. "We will do many great things, Amora."

The thought almost made her nauseous, but Amora tried to keep her composure straight, refusing to meet his gaze.

"Not yet, I'm afraid," a new voice spoke as a bright light filled the ship.

Amora whirled around, and as the light faded, her eyes widened. "Verdandi?"

The blonde Norn smiled. "Hello, dear. It's good to see you again."

The Black Order moved toward her, weapons ready.

"Oh, there's no need for that," Verdandi said with a dismissive wave of her hand, and the weapons fell from their hands.

The Norn turned to Amora. "I'm afraid you're needed elsewhere."

"We only have one Infinity Stone," Thanos spoke, although he shifted away from the Norn, "We're not done here."

"Well." Verdandi's pleasant tone gained a slight edge. "One of your precious Stones is in a palace that is currently under siege, so I suggest you let your harbinger go deal with it."

Amora's heart nearly stopped. "Asgard?"

"Yes, Hela has returned," Verdandi said simply.

"How?"

"There was some foolishness on your princes' part, but it's nothing we didn't foresee." She motioned for Amora. "Now, come along."

Amora stepped closer and reluctantly took the witch's hand. She glanced back at Thanos.

"We will finish this later," he said with a nod.

Verdandi squeezed her hands. "Close your eyes, dear."

The light was still almost overwhelming as a weightlessness overtook her. When it faded, Amora opened her eyes to a forest.

But it was all wrong.