↠ other end of the string

chapter 7: other end of the string

edited

i start walking back to Chemistry with a small frown in my face. it just doesn't make any sense. why is it that one second luke is being all nice and then the next he was shoving me away again?

i was aware of the walls he had built for himself, when my dad left i built the same walls thinking that at some point, the people in my life will leave, so its better if they aren't with me in the first place. but joannah broke down those walls for me. she stayed despite my problems and i slowly learned how to let people in again.

i let out a scoff remembering that luke and i were chemistry partners.

entering the class i see that luke was already in his seat. he looked extremely nice but he was only wearing a maroon beanie, a black shirt and his signature ripped skinny jeans. he was writing on a piece of paper and biting the metal part of the pencil's eraser as he kept thinking.

i sigh and sit down next to him not bothering to look his way. i am so tired and chemistry wasn't at the top of my to do list at the moment.

he cleared his throat "angel?" i close my eyes instead of answering him. "angel?" he tried again and i sigh and finally look at him.

"what?" i ask tiredly and he smiles softly at me "there's a leaf in your hair"

"oh" i said blushing a deep red as he chuckles. he leans forward and takes the supposed leaf from my hair, but when his fingers retracted i see a folded paper. my hands reached to hold it.

"nuh-uh" luke disagreed, raising the paper above his head. curse him and his goddamn height "you need rules. i need to apologize. and you knowing the contents of this paper too early ruins everything"

great. i had the biggest curiousity and i get desperate and impatient. i knew this isn't gonna end well.

instead of arguing, i cross my arms in front of my chest like a spoiled brat and purse my lips "what are the rules?"

"one, i will give you this piece of paper but you aren't allowed to oen it till the end of the class. and two, whatever is written in this paper, you have to follow. okay?"

"okay. as long as i won't die because of it" i say and he chuckles. my tired state suddenly became a really happy state. it's nice to be back to talking terms with Luke.

pretty soon lunch rolled around then last period. i felt nervous and the paper felt like it was burning a hole in my jean pocket. what did luke have to say? was it about the kiss? i felt myself blush at the thought.

as the bell rang i all but ran to my locker. after stuffing my books i take my bag and slung it over my shoulder. i took the paper from my jean pocket with shaking hands and gasp.

it was a sketch of.. me.

well, i wasn't alone. in fact i was standing with a look of fear but also courage in my face as black wings engulfed my body, like it was the one giving me the courage despite my fear. there was a halo, on top of my head and the owner of the black wings wrapped around me had horns, devil horns, surrounded by hair formed into a quiff, its face hidden.

why would luke, awkward yet smirking Luke, draw something as sinister as this?

what does this even mean?

I take a look at the other paper hoping to look for explanations. and alas, I see Luke's scribbled handwriting.

hey, angel.

look I know you're pretty confused right now but I'll give you the answers, just work with me here.

so, you know that old forest? just due west?