05

PART FIVE .

Jeon Jeongguk makes use of his Monday morning free time before the bell, by guzzling tobacco behind the basketball courts, watching, in a dull fascination, as peers lumber their way into the schoolyard, grotesque bags, stuffed with misinterpreted knowledge affixed to their trembling bodies, shaking due to strings of heat that are knotted throughout the air. It's solacing, to some extent. However, this deep and contented silence Jeongguk had brought upon himself, is nearly always squandered, his previously peace-infused mind always suddenly shrouded with a prim combination of agitation and chagrin, as a drowsy voice sounds, "dude, look, you made the front page." Whilst holding out a piece of paper toward the redhead.

Jeongguk does as instructed, albeit begrudgingly, and practically tears the paper from the other boy's hand, examining it with those glass eyes of his. Taking a lewd puff of his cigarette, Jeongguk makes out his image depicted upon the front cover of the school's paper and it became clear the other boy's comment had been mocking and lacking in genuine enthusiasm. There Jeongguk was, tangled amongst bonfire sparks, perched within the doorway of his customised white van, his band mates just about visible behind him as he sung into his mic. It was a picture taken in such a way that almost brought his voice with it, it was as though Jeongguk could hear his own song eliciting from his concentrated and almost tipsy face.

The picture just above his own was one of that pest Park Jimin, his photograph a complete juxtaposition to Jeongguk's, as it was a blaze of electric blue and contemplative azure, the only varying colour being the bright orange of Jimin's hair, which was rather obnoxious a sight that just screamed look at me when paired with the fair state of the ocean beneath his powerful feet.

Jeongguk spares a moment to take another drag of his cigarette, before glancing back toward Yugyeom, who had a sheepish spark fermenting within his soulful, chocolate eyes, "that stalker again, huh."

"If you mean Kim Taehyung, then I don't think it's fair to call him that anymore." Jeongguk was wholeheartedly aware of the impact of this statement, the impact of any statement he made, in fact.

Within their school, there was no doubt a hierarchical system, built upon the mutual pining and adoration for the Jeon and Park families. It was like whatever they would say became an indisputable law, one that everybody appeared oh so happy to follow along with. It was almost like black magic, the way these family's words bared such impact upon every citizen of the seaside town.

So, it came as no surprise to Jeongguk that when he had declared Kim Taehyung a freakish stalker for taking terrifyingly indecorous pictures of him in freshmen year, that the entirety of the school had taken his side and isolated the innocent boy without further question. However, upon having his mind changed on the subject of Taehyung, Jeongguk considered it in his favour to single-handedly clear the dirty prospect of his existence.

But, what exactly had changed his mind?

Why, pesky Park Jimin, of course. After whispers caressed his ears concerning the surfer's sudden interest in the brunette, Jeongguk considered it his duty to wedge himself into his family-friend's business. It had been a silent competition between the two of them since Jimin's birth, wherein they'd get under each other's skin as much as possible in order to have the upper hand over the other, all the while masking their hatred toward one another in front of their parents.

"Why isn't it fair?" Yugyeom inquires softly, almost cautiously.

"'Cause the kid's not a stalker.. the pictures are pretty sick, don't ya think?"

"I.. I mean.. yeah, I guess."

Wetting his lip, Jeongguk squashes his cancer-stick beneath his boot and beams, some form of sycophantic intent laced within those skull-candy teeth, "I sure hope no one's badmouthing such glorious pictures."