28

PART TWENTY EIGHT.

Taehyung's nerves are very much redolent of the kettle that's brewing right now, his thought process very much similar to the whistle of the newly boiled water. With so little excitement in him, he doesn't think his body could get any heavier, until Jeongguk's voice box rips through the shriek of the kettle, his words burning like the steam that busies itself, creating swollen imagery of perfervid gardens and spent, jailbird smiles, around Taehyung's face.

"You know, I don't think we've spoken since our kiss, Tae." And Taehyung doesn't quite know why he's surprised that the ever-shameless boy wouldn't think twice about bringing up something that was supposedly a sacred topic, in their current company.

He is surprised though, however (even though he knows he shouldn't be) and his surprise is thoroughly displayed in the sudden gesticulation of his body — a sudden spritz of life suffusing through him, causing a spasm of his hand, which stimulates the spillage of scorching water, which, in turn, results in a burn mark and a pained hiss.

"Shit!"   Taehyung doesn't have time to wonder how the pair got to him so quickly, both boys seemingly materialising either side of him, in a position which should feel crowded in such a cramped kitchen space, but doesn't. Taehyung also doesn't have time to consider why it doesn't, because, before he knows it, Jimin's fingers are wrenched around his wrist and his arm is being held beneath the cold tap.

Jeongguk's there to rub magic circles into his back, somewhat easing his pain, as the cool banquet of ice-cold water slides down his lower-arm; like a transparent waterfall, which leave behind lilac fragments of hurt and dolorousness. At least, they appear lilac in the fog of care and consideration, but Taehyung, deep down, knows that the mark left behind is nothing if not faded vermillion — perhaps a little like splotches of blood red nail polish.

"Shit, Taehyung." Jimin says exasperatedly, and it feels a little too like reality, because, since when has Jimin called him by his real name?

"You need to be more careful." Jeongguk states, right by his ear, as if the whispers of his words, that drip from the syllables like combers of honey, will manifest within Taehyung and subconsciously make him more cautious.

However, the Taehyung right here, in this moment, the one who wasn't laced with cautiousness, he wasn't okay with the blame being solely shifted upon him. He was a little careless, sure, but he so wanted for them to feel bad, to feel remorse; he wanted to wake up their humanity, and, if playing the weeping damsel in distress shall awaken that, he supposes he shall just slip into that role, "sorry, I guess your comment caught me a little off-guard... and I-" Taehyung is unsure as to whether he's struck a break through or not, as his words are cut off by a sudden pressure against his brewing burn mark. Upon looking down, he discovers that pressure to be Park Jimin's soft, nimble lips, pressing compassion into the previously established branding of affliction.

Was that the humanity he sought? Was that an act of empathy? Or, was it another step forward on the chess board — false sense of security?

"Does it hurt a lot?" Jimin then asks and Taehyung feels the eldest boy's presence behind him, bold and austere, his hand still swirling around Taehyung's back, although now, it feels like he's less doing it for comfort and more for a ventilation of anger. Suddenly, it feels like he's twirling sparklers into Taehyung's bare skin and it's like the pain of the burn mark on his wrist, although this time, it's in these little patterns being woven upon his back.

Although the pain of the original mark had pretty much been admonished by now, the ache seemed to spread across his body and he couldn't help the little whimper that seeped through his trembling lips. Jimin's eyes widen slightly in clear surprise, and he assumes Jeongguk does the same, as his avaricious fingers stop moving instantly and he sounds genuinely concerned when he asks, "you alright, Tae?"