never enough

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/35/5c/d1355c57f51a7621b6de5eed3d0f69d6.png

Shiro

The President's Annual Garrison Ball was something we, as Garrison children, had heard about since we were little. It was this glorious event that only the rich and wealthy and famous were allowed to attend. My father attended one, but left early, telling me it was a waste of funds. But I had always admired it.

Back when we hadn't the money to buy luxuries, I would gaze through storefronts and marvel at the silk dresses and velvet suits. Now, as we rode in long limos to the Garrison, I could barely contain my anxious excitement.

There were 13 of us in total- Adam and I, Ezor, Zethrid, Matt and Pidge, Lance, Allura, Veronica, Acxa, Coran, Hunk, and Keith, of course. Beside me, Adam was quiet. He'd been to these before. when he was little, his mother always brought him to the infamous ball. It made me proud to think that now I could be the one leading him in. We were split 6 and 6 in the limos, Keith leading the way in his gloriously expensive motorcycle.

For the first time in weeks, I was reentering the Garrison. Tonight, it was adorned with colored lights and gold streamers, dripping in wealth and anticipation, nearly bursting with excitement, as if it was waiting for us. Adam squeezed my hand and I looked over at him.

He was wearing a light blue suit with a white tie, his hair slicked away from his face, his eyes wide and beautiful behind his glasses. I branded this image of him into my mind. This was it. This was finally it. I had finally become the man I promised him I'd be. Adam's smile lit up my heart.

Muffled classical music grew louder and louder as we approached the round-about entrance of the Garrison. Around the sides of the car, women and men walked towards the double-doors, draped in luxury fabrics and heavy jewelry, their cat-like eyes tracing our limos with vague interest.

At the Garrison, learning how to ballroom dance was a requirement. Back in my school days, I'd danced with a pretty girl from our class and all the other boys had asked me how it was. The truth was, I had imagined Adam's face, voice, arms instead. I never came out to those classmates. Still, even though the dance classes helped, I had been clumsy and the only dance I'd truly done well in was the simple waltz. I assumed that I would be staying on the sidelines of the ballroom tonight.

The limo slowed to a stop and a young valet opened the door for us, letting us out with a flourishing sweep of his arm. The music cleared to a glorious orchestral piece in my ears as we were led through the Garrison entrance.

I felt my head go fuzzy at the scene in front of me. The gaping lobby had been cleared completely, leaving a wide, open room that was nearly filled with people. The cavernous walls were adorned with flowers and balloons, the usually scuffed floor free of scratches- instead polished like a mirror.

The lights were a low, calm, yellow-gold, casting the lobby in soft, twinkling light. All around us, people wearing dazzling outfits of gold, copper, and russet, as the theme this year was harvest colors. I guess we hadn't gotten the memo- my performers and I wore bright colors nowhere near the sparkling fields in autumn.

The patrons carried thin flutes of rosé and champagne served on platters by waiters perusing around. I felt my breath leave my chest as I looked around in pure awe. This was what I'd been missing out on? I felt Adam's fingers slip over my palm. I squeezed his hand but instead looped our ars together, his hand on my arm like the classic couples around us.

When I looked over at him, I was surprised by how happy I was to see a rare blush on his cheeks. I led my performers out of the entrance and into the fray.