rewrite the stars (pt.2)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c4/e9/26/c4e9261d0095a1ac742cf57af50994d7.jpg

In the time that it had taken me to find Lance, he'd changed out of the suit and into his training attire- a soft, dipping tank top tucked into high-waisted velvet shorts that slid dangerously high up on his thighs.

He was sitting in the bleachers of the empty circus ring, wrapping bandages around his palms and wrists for support. I jogged over to him, breathing hard, and fought to speak eloquently as I regained my breath.

"Lance," I tried, attempting to meet his eyes. He didn't say anything but his face was one of bruised pride and sadness. "They're small-minded people," I tried to explain. He still didn't reply so I hesitantly reached out for his hand, but he pulled away, finally looking up to me as he finished wrapping the gauze.

I tried a different approach. "Why do you care what they say?"

Lance gave in and shook his head. "It's not just them." He paused and his cobalt eyes pierced mine. "You've never had someone look at you the way your parents looked at me." He looked down at his palms and frowned. "The way everyone would look at... us."

He promptly got up and walked over to the closest pillar where he began undoing the rope he used for aerial stunts. As a final attempt, I spoke softly, walking to him.

"I know that you feel the same way I do, Lance. You keep on looking for ways to deny it or for us to stop trying but that's the last thing I want to do. I want to keep trying for whatever this could be. "

Lance still wouldn't look at me and instead moved onto another section of rope. I followed behind him with tenacity.

"I'm not trying to be persistent, but Lance, who's to say we can't be together? I don't care, I really don't."

Still ignoring me, he hopped into the sand ring, towing the rope behind him. It was attached at its other end to the ceiling, but I couldn't see where it led. 

I caught Lance by the waist and a smile slipped over his lips for a brief second as he turned to face me. I put my palm to his cheek, trying to reassure him, trying to get my point across without him walking away from me. 

"I know that you see what we have, but you keep telling me that we can't be together for this or that reason. What if... What if we rewrite the stars? What if we just ignore all of that and be happy together?" I kept my eyes on him, pulling him back to me gently when he tried to pull away, stubborn as ever. 

There was a flicker of emotion that got past the barrier of hurt in his eyes for a moment, but then he looked to the ground and pushed my chest, tugging hard on the rope he held and flying up into the rafters.

I looked around the ceiling blindly, searching for him, but it was as if he'd disappeared completely. Suddenly, I heard his voice. 

"You think it's easy? You think I don't want to run to you?"

There, floating down from the ceiling in a single beam of light, he hung suspended in a hoop, long, toned legs cycling as if running in the air. He slowly sank down, and, when he landed, I walked to him, pleading to him with my eyes. Forgive me, please. Give us a chance

Lance tried not to meet my eyes as he spoke, brows furrowed in determined stubbornness. "I know you're wondering why I keep pushing you away like this, even though we're able to be just us, together, alone in here. But, when we go outside, you're going to wake up and see that it's hopeless trying to make something work between us. We're just not meant for each other."

Suddenly, he flipped up and through the hoop, his legs wrapped around the top of its rim, our faces level but his upside down. The hoop began rising again and this time I held on, trying desperately to hold on to him, to any hope he had.